2. good soap

✦✦✦

There was no putting aside the fact that dinner had been awkward for everyone in the apartment. 

Silence overtook the threesome, with nothing good being sensed besides the food they put into their mouths

Silence overtook the threesome, with nothing good being sensed besides the food they put into their mouths. Small glances were stolen between Greta and Cora. They were on the mix of sympathy and seething rage, both slowly trickling into the combination of sheer regret to even make showing up here an option. 

But as Cora continued to feel guilty for whatever went on in her sister's thoughts, she was soon interrupted from her concern when Eli tried almost desperately to break the ice. 

"So how's work? Kelly said y'all did good with the mafia ghost book or some shit?" 

"You mean Life in The Time of Crime?" Chimed Cora. "Yeah, lots of online orders. We're in the process of forming out a deal to get Mandy Moore for the audiobook recording." 

"That's cool," He said in the middle of combining his chews and nods. "Y'all did good with that shit. Kelly said that if the sales keep adding up, there might be a chance to buy new office space in that plaza over there on Capital-" 

"I'm sorry." Interjected Greta, who almost forgot what her voice sounded like in the minutes of keeping quiet since she arrived. "Kelly told you that were looking to move offices?"

Eli only shrugged, though. "Was she not supposed to?"

And looking between the two that stared at her confusingly, Greta settled down the tone in her response before occupying all her focus on the remainder of her fries. Then, unable to sit here in the silence any longer, she stood. "Do you mind if I charge my phone in your room?" She asked him then, and he pointed out to his room, which only made her roll her eyes as though he would've forgotten just where she'd spent more nights in than her apartment. 

But after walking in, she closed the door behind her. And in doing so, locked herself back into the remains of a world she once thought she'd never step foot in ever again. The beige-colored walls, the short, waist-high dresser set between the two windows overlooking the movie theater, it was all so nostalgic for her. 

Then, she glanced down at the queen-sized mattress with the three black silk pillows. The bed was made as though it were ready to be inspected by the most strict of military generals. But she could recall all the ways they rolled around the sheets, giving him an effort to remake it every morning. 

Sitting down on the edge of that mattress, and captured the charger cord dangling over his nightstand, and plugged her phone up to it. But she was curious. If there was someone that Eli had been seeing, then where would they usually lay? 

Did they have a different scent?

Which side was their favorite?

She dug deep into her wondering by lying down on the left side of the mattress, thinking back to all the times she'd found herself walking up this way. Granted, there'd be fewer clothes involved, and a snoring mountain man at her side.