6. montgomery

✦✦✦

♫ call me by cautious clay ♫

"Here..." Eli handed Kelly the bag of flour to put into the pantry as he went about separating the rest of the groceries they brought home. Though he tried to avoid the sad look she was giving him for the last six minutes, he managed to make himself useful around the house. 

Whether it was tending to Lulu's needs or simply grocery shopping for the couple, he knew that this week was going to be the hardest to get through

It seemed that everywhere he went, there was the constant reminder that Greta Abney was back with her ex-boyfriend. 

And not only that, but she was engaged.

Once again, someone else was chosen over him. 

And to top it off, he was now unemployed. Having finally obtained the financial confidence to invest in their own bakery, Eli, Alex, and Alex's girlfriend Olive have collectively quit their job at the office to put their full commitment into opening up the bakery they've wanted to do for months. 

But until that happened, much of Eli's life was on a standstill. And so he kept himself busy by doing the only thing he's known how to do for the last 10 years: 

Take care of Kelly and her brother. 

When she turned back to him, Kelly offered to take the leftover bags and toss them into the recycling bin. Then once again, she made another attempt to wipe away the sad look on his bearded face by bringing up a picture of a slender woman with eloquent features and thick, kinky hair. 

And as she tried to put her efforts of playing matchmaker on the field again, she hoped that this time would make for better results. "So her names Lucy. I met her at women's march last year. And I know that you have this week spot for girls that look like SZA, so..." 

But Eli only declined with a shake of his head, hardly showing much interest on the outside despite his urge to examine the photo just a little bit longer. "Why she look like someone you slept with though?"

Then with a guilty tilt of her head, Kelly clicked her tongue. "Maybe me and Lulu had a threeway with her last Halloween. But c'mon," She laughed. "You and I got the same taste in girls. We were bound to sleep with the same one at some point." 

"Look, I appreciate you, but I'm good." Responded Eli as he unzipped his hoodie - wet from the rain - and tossed it over the edge of the couch. "But I need to get my shit together and stave off bein' thirsty for a while. Besides, ain't no girl wanna fuck with a broke nigga with no job, and who wears his heart on his sleeve. Ain't that what you said?"