7. georgia-bound

✦✦✦

"Yo..." 

Normally, Eli would've been startled whenever Alex had just burst into his room unexpectedly

Normally, Eli would've been startled whenever Alex had just burst into his room unexpectedly. But even Alex noticed the cold, distant lack of attention his roommate had applied to the entry. Bringing himself through the door even further, he entered to find a duffle bag with clothes folded and rolled so precisely within as Eli himself kept busy with his laptop in his lap. 

"Hey, you good?" His roommate had asked him. "I didn't walk in on you watching Star Wars porn again, did I?" 

And Eli glared up at him with a lingering mixture of annoyance and humor. "Nigga why you always gotta think that?" 

"You do know that your laptop connects to the Bluetooth speaker, right? And we both know what Adriana Chechik sounds like."

Shamefully, Eli managed a light chuckle before Alex laughed out loud and took a seat at the edge of the windowsill. "So what's the bag for?" He asked.

"Oh, I'm finna head out for a while. Got some family business I need to take care of." 

But Alex only quirked his brow in confusion. He was more aware of Eli's history than he gave himself credit for. Having been roommates for a little over two months now, and co-workers for much longer, Alex had a knack for pinpointing all the ways Eli's words kept his emotions peaking out. 

Still, in nosy, Alex fashion, that didn't stop him from stepping over to the bed and leaning over to observe Eli's computer screen. He let out a humph as he examined the list of airline flights from Seattle to Atlanta. "I thought the rest of your family lived up here," He then suggested. "Y'know, Kelly and her brother." 

But Eli sighed. "Yeah, I thought the same. Apparently, my dad had some family I gotta go see."

"Your dad?"

"Yeah."

"But didn't he-"

"Yup." He boldly elongated the middle vowels of his response in a grumbling murmur before closing the laptop completely. Looking back up at his friend, Eli could tell that Alex was just as confused as he had been for the last three hours.