15. diversity quota

✦✦✦

"You can say it, I'm a shit person."  

Lulu had been a little bewildered as Greta recollected the final moments had with Malik when he brought her back home last week

Lulu had been a little bewildered as Greta recollected the final moments had with Malik when he brought her back home last week. If anything, she'd been a little letdown. 

It was easy to root for the two of them. Greta was her oldest friend, and Malik had been Kelly's. They were both complicated in their own way, and even if the two of them avoided ever seeing it, Lulu could recognize the sparks flying off them whenever the good and bad moments hit their stride. 

But as the both of them tested out the plush cushions of the most expensive sofa in the department store, Lulu ate into her froyo conflicted. "What you did was shitty," She answered, her mouth full of icy, strawberry lemonade bliss. "But I doubt that merits you the title of shit person."

"It sure feels that way." Greta counter, drinking into her tea. "Have you guys spoken to him recently?" 

"No," Lulu said. "We've kinda been giving him his space while he and Alex are working out their pastry shop thing. Cora's been checking in on him, though." 

To that, Greta grimaced. There was almost no surprise that her sister and her ex-boyfriend still communicate, given that they both have a common enemy in the form of Julien. If anything, she was just surprised that she hadn't heard Cora berate her about last night's incident as well. 

But it was still early, she supposed. 

Moving on from one couch to the other, both girls found only a tinge of joy in examining each piece of furniture. It was so distracting, in fact, that it almost deterred Greta from realizing that she had no exact clue why Lulu dragged them here to the furniture store in the first place. "Wait, why are we looking for another couch?" She soon asked after checking the price tag on the nearest ottoman. "I thought you guys just bought that furniture set last year." 

"We're not looking for a couch, we're looking for a bed set."

And deadpanned, Greta glared at her. "Then why aren't we in the mattress area?" 

"Because I wanna sit on stuff, and I know that if I lay on one of those mattresses then I'm never getting up." She smirked and stuffed another spoonful of froyo into her mouth.

"Fine. But what are we getting a mattress for anyways?" 

"Remember Miles?" She asked. And Greta instantly recalled the memory of the scrawny young college junior from all those years ago. 

And most notably, she recognized the name as being someone who somehow became a donor for the baby Lulu was carrying right now. 

"I remember how he tried to get me and Kelly in a threesome with him," Greta muttered sourly. "How you guys decided to make him a donor is beyond me."