13 | Mind Map

Does anybody have a map?
Anybody maybe happen to know how the hell to do this?
I don't know if you can tell
But this is me just pretending to know

Connor

Connor was completely stunned.

"What are you referring to?"

CJ crossed her arms in front of her, a knowing look on her face. She dived straight into interrogation mode.

"You can cut the shit. I know what you're up to." Her voice had dipped to be quieter, careful to not disturb her housemate. Connor could feel the thirium in his veins run cold in confusion and guilt. The confusion he understood, the guilt not so much.

She used her foot to kick the door shut, so it was almost closed but left room to not seem suspicious. A crack was left, and from that Connor could see (Y/N) still focused on prepping dinner for her family. The sound of rustling plastic caught his attention. CJ had gone right back to work, as though nothing had happened, mind mapping the plans for her newest client. He paused for a moment. What exactly did she know?

A collection of deep-toned brown photos had been arranged on the corkboard, following a very academia-style aesthetic. The pictures included high-ceiling grand buildings and blush pink flowers mixed with baby's breath and white roses. He'd admit, CJ was excellent at her job from what he'd seen.

"Just know if you're gonna make any moves on (Y/N) that she comes with a lot of baggage. I'm not saying that to put her down, she's quite literally told me to warn anyone who might be interested in her." Her eyes hadn't left the binder, flicking through photos of dresses, drinks, and venue themes.

He waited a moment to respond. "I know."

She took another picture from the assortment, pinning it to the corkboard. "She's been through a lot of shit. She doesn't like to admit it, but it's completely ruined her perspective on relationships. So it'd be good for her to have someone who won't give up despite how hard she pushes. And from what I've seen, you might be that person."

Connor swallowed a lump in his throat, focusing back on the board. He felt a wave of heat hit his face as he scanned his eyes over the photographs, looking for a distraction. "It'd be...unprofessional for me to be that person. I hardly know her."

"Maybe. But maybe after this shit blows over there's a chance for you both." She held a tack in her mouth, searching through more inspiration. "I've seen the way she looks at you." Her words held a lisp as she spoke through gritted teeth, holding onto the pin before securing it in place. "And the way you look at her. You're not exactly subtle, Anderson."

Connor blinked, fixing the sleeves of his dress shirt. Cassie was slowly cracking his psychological shell just by telling him the hard facts. He was impressed to say the least. "You're good."

"I know." She responded smugly. "It's my job to give a couple the day they'll remember for the rest of their lives – unless there's a divorce, that is – and part of that is seeing where their sparks lie. You've got yourself a strong spark, Connor."

"...Thank you?"

CJ finally turned away from the board to stare him down.
"So what are your intentions?"

This was one of the first times in a while that Connor couldn't put a feeling into words. He knew his intentions were nothing but good, and yet he couldn't bring himself to speak of them. He wasn't used to these emotions whatsoever, and he felt as though he'd just been thrown into the deep end of the ocean with nothing but a shabby piece of drift wood to cling to.