14 | To Pa's House

Oh, home, let me come home
Home is wherever I'm with you
Oh, home, let me come home
Home is wherever I'm with you
(Y/N)

The car pulled stiffly into the driveway at (Y/N)'s father's house, a drastic difference to the sluggish movements of Hank's vehicle. She was happy to be driving her own car for once, not sitting in the backseat of a cop car or an old 1988 cutlass Supreme Brougham. Her own car, not just ducking out for groceries or to drop Toby to preschool. Her car with her son sitting in his booster seat jigging back and forth, awaiting to be unbuckled. Connor sat in the backseat next to Toby, and Hank sat in the passenger seat to her right.

"Alright, let's do this." (Y/N) sighed, unbuckling her seat belt. She stepped out of her car, taking in the sight of the house she'd spent so much time in. It'd changed over the years, but it still felt the same. It seemed like every time her dad and Steph took in a new child, the house got a bit brighter.

(Y/N) found it so unfair that Steph wasn't able to have children. She was so nurturing, so gentle with others no matter the case. Sometimes (Y/N) loathed herself for being able to have Toby, especially when it came down to his father. Someone as maternal as Stephanie deserved a chance to be a birth mother.

As soon as everyone was out of the car and the front door swung open, Toby was running full ball for his grandfather.

"Pop pop!"

"Hey! There's my tobester!" (Y/N)'s father scooped up Toby in his arms, beaming. "Jeez you're getting big."

(Y/N)'s dad had barely changed since she'd last visited. His hair has greyed more, and there was a noticeable stiffness about some of his movements. It saddened her. She often wished aging of this kind never existed.

Steph came around the corner, catching a look at (Y/N) and instantly smiling. (Y/N) couldn't help but smile back. Steph was always checking in on how she was doing, and she appreciated it greatly. "How are you, sweetheart?" Stephanie opened her arms for a hug, and (Y/N) gladly accepted.

"I'll admit, I've been better."

Steph rubbed her back before stepping away. "Can I get you anything? Tea? Hot chocolate?"

"No no, I'm all good. You guys got any kids with you at the moment?"

"Just Noah, he's currently at school. You'll get the chance to meet him when he gets home."

"Why'd you guys drop by?" (Y/N)'s father asked, setting Toby back down. "Not that we don't love a visit, just caught us off guard that's all."

Before she could answer, Hank and Connor walked through the front door behind them. Her father's eyes instantly widened.

"Afternoon, Petey." Hank said casually, giving a glance around the house. "Mind if we have a minute of your time?"

Stephanie and Peter looked at each other and nodded. (Y/N) knelt down to her son.

"Toby honey, why don't you go play with Brucey? Poor old dog hasn't seen you in a while."

"Brucey!" Toby yelled excitedly, making a B-line for the door to the backyard.

"Why don't we sit down." Peter gestured to the seats by the window overlooking the playground. This was one of the features in the house that relieved (Y/N), knowing she could keep an eye on her son whilst they talked. "I'll admit, it's been a while since I've seen you Hank. I was hoping I would've have to, not whilst you're on duty anyway."

"Yeah, I'd rather meet up over a drink than this shit any day." He looked to Steph. "Christ, uh, where are my manners." He stuck his hand out loosely. "Lieutenant Hank Anderson, I helped your husband here back in 2018."