23 | Unwanted Houseguest

Baby came home today,
Told me to stay away.
She told me her man was afraid,
Told me I better behave
Connor

It was like the entire world was tossed onto its back. (Y/N)'s once joyful expression had been washed away in a rapid, now replaced with a face of pure shock. Pure shock and some kind of deep down fear. Her hands were toying with the crown she'd now taken off as she searched Matt's face for some kind of answer. She couldn't find one. All she found was a calm and collected individual, as if he were expecting a warm welcome anywhere he went.

Connor could practically see the lump in her throat forming to strangle any attempted speech. It choked out the words before they had a chance to reach her lips, letting them scratch their way back down into her lungs. This tension seemed to only build, the usual flush in her face gone in a cold rush. It was scary how quickly one person's presence could send a human into this state.

Matt looked almost exactly like he did in that old photo, the one Connor found in (Y/N)'s drawers. His facial hair had grown out into more of a beard, and he had a new piercing in his ear. Other than that nothing had changed. He had the same fluffed out brunette hair from the recent winds, streaks of blonde running through it from the roots like golden twine. His eyes were a mixed concoction of bright blue and green, a drastic contrast to the red flannel he was wearing. His hands were tucked into his jean pockets as he leaned against the doorway casually. For someone so violent he was surprisingly calm. But the clear indications from (Y/N)'s current state showed he was not to be trusted.

(Y/N)'s eyes fixed themselves on the man in her doorway.

"Hey, Toby. Haven't seen you in a while, bud. Look how tall you've gotten, wow..." The man at the door knelt down to the child's level, (Y/N)'s son clinging to her leg like a scared joey. She ran her hand through his hair, trying to comfort him as he buried his face away from the rest of the world.

"Cassie, take Toby to the backyard now. Make sure he has his coat just in case." She sounded commanding and protective despite her state, her eyes never leaving Matt as she spoke to her friend.

CJ picked up the child with a quick mutter. "Come on Tobes."

They both then retreated to the room down the hall to get his jacket.

"You too, Connor."

Connor gave her a puzzled look, his eyebrows furrowed slightly. He opened his mouth to object.

"I don't want you in the middle of this. Please listen to me."

Despite every circuit in his body coming to a boil, he nodded. Looking back at the man one last time, he hesitated before eventually picking his feet up and following CJ to the yard. Cassie flicked through the pages of a book in hopes to distract herself as Toby ran straight for the swing set. Connor watched her fumble with the pages for a second, clearing her throat. Humans didn't seem to hide their worry very well.

Connor looked around the yard for something to do, the plants flattened by a layer of frost. His gaze wandered around the fences. That's when he saw the cracked open window. Although he wanted to respect their privacy

also wanted to make sure nothing off happened. He saw the man's venomous eye and collected stance. Caught sight of (Y/N)'s fingernails gripping the fabric of her jumper. Watched her confidence flicker in front of this stranger, the light in her dying out.

"Good to see you've replaced me easily with your new robo toy."

"Robo toy? He's a fucking person. A national hero, in fact. Treat him like it." Every phrase ended swiftly and crisply. It was clear she didn't want to waste time on her intruder.