5 | Airplane Panic

If I don't make that then I'll switch my flight and
I'll be right back at it by the end of the night.
Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shootin' stars
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now
(Get hit with nostalgic music, feckers)
(Y/N)

"Hello?"

(Y/N) immediately let out an anxious breath she didn't even know she was holding back. Her worries felt lighter now that her best friend had picked up the phone.

"CJ, hey."

"(Y/N) girl, what's been happenin'? A couple of cops came over to ask questions about anyone we know who's had a criminal record yada yada yada, the hell is that about?"

She shook her head. "I'll explain that when I get home, I promise. But for now, I'll hopefully be on a plane home later today."

"Lost interest in San Fran already?"

"More like almost robbed and held gunpoint.." She muttered awkwardly.

CJ yelled something along the lines of "WHAT?!", followed by mixed curses and foul spoken threats to whoever had hurt her friend. She happened to yell loud enough for Connor to look over in concern from hearing her on the other side of the phone. (Y/N) mouthed the words 'worried as shit' to him before getting back to the conversation.

"Listen, I promise you I'll explain my very eventful past 3 days to you once I get back. Tell Tobes I miss him, alright?"

"As I have been for the past two or more weeks."

"See 'ya, Cass."

"Don't get mugged on the way back!"

(Y/N) scoffed to hold back a nervous laugh, finishing her goodbyes, and closing the call.

"Just as sassed-up as usual." She said to herself, as if she needed reminding. She met CJ in her awkward high school years, and they'd stuck to each other like glue ever since. It was mainly the changing colour wheel known as her hair that really stood out to (Y/N), and that part of her best friend stayed with her into adulthood. Not only that, but as soon as the words 'retro' and 'arcade' left her lips, (Y/N) knew she and Cassandra-Jane were going to get along just fine. They spent most of their high school years playing videogames and trying their best to remember when assignments and essays were due in. They both shared a common trait, procrastination.

"Okay, I've got good news and bad news." Connor sat a beige folder barely filled with documents on the desk in front of her.

"What's the good news?" She asked, her eyes still focused on the object he'd just dropped. To her surprise, it wasn't labelled.

"Now that we have a certain accomplice and he's been tracked down as we speak, Captain Fowler and the head of the San Francisco Police Force have approved your return back home."

The woman's eyes lit up, but the light dimmed a little. "What's the bad news?"

Connor sat down and drummed his fingers on the table a couple of times, as if he were anxious of what he was about to say.

"If what you said is true and these criminals have a boss who knows who you are, we'll need to keep you at the Detroit Police Department for a few more days to determine if you know who this 'crime boss' of a sort might be."

He watched the already miniscule amount of hope drain from her face. And yet she managed to cover it up well, nodding.

"Well, if it helps you guys do your job I'd be willing to stay just a little longer."