2 | Panel Peril

How high is too low,
We're not that young so we're never gonna stop,
Never gonna stop,
Never gonna stop until we break it.
Dancing on glass.
Connor

"Welcome to the Richmond Police Station, boys. Name's David Thompson."

Hank shook the man's hand loosely. "Lieutenant Hank Anderson and Detective Connor Anderson. Detroit Police Department."

"It's a real honour to have you folks out here. We've been having a true struggle trying to get a hold on what's been happening around these parts." Connor simply nodded at the statement. David seemed like your average police officer. A large man with grey hair, light brown eyes, and a moustache. He looked like someone you'd talk to about last night's hockey match or an upcoming barbeque in the local neighbourhood. Judging by the mug in his other hand, Connor could tell he'd recently finished off a cup of coffee before they'd arrived. Although Hank had suggested he stop analysing every little detail if it were outside of work or 'not all that important', he found it quite interesting to learn about different human's habits.

"Could you give us some more information on the current records of this case?" Connor asked.

"Sure thing." 

David pulled at his coat sleeves until they reached his elbows, clicking a button to light up the projector. A large-scale map was shown on the screen, several bright red dots spreading across the wide set city of San Francisco.

"I understand it may have been a hassle to pursue a joint investigation with us, but we just don't have the tech that Detroit does. Border control's been real steep and strict since the revolution. Security checks are even more complicated. They're being incredibly careful with the transportation of parts and technology. Everyone here thinks their toaster's gonna turn on them now. Guess they'll believe anything the president spoon feeds them."

"Ain't that the truth." Hank had sat himself down in one of the station's chairs, once again looking unimpressed with the world.

"Each of those red dots is an anonymous murder case. They must be pretty good at what they do, cause for the past two months we haven't found jack squat when it comes to leads. Any form of DNA was either hidden or never existed."

"So you're saying this killer could be an android."

"Exactly. I guess it'd explain why we never find anything. If they're human they sure as hell know how to keep a murder under wraps." Dave took a seat whilst keeping his eyes glued to the projector screen. His gaze seemed to lack hope. "We understand pulling both of you up from Detroit might have put a strain on the DPD, especially taking you, Connor. But we've been blind this whole time, even with our more advanced testing."

"There's nothing to apologise for." Connor said. "None of us knew the government would react in such a way. We knew there'd be change, but not like this."

That was half true. Connor had discussed many times with Markus how the revolution would throw a wrench into society. Some were appalled at the efforts put into place so androids would be seen as equals. They refused to treat those who once took care of their estate as anything more than a vacuum cleaner. Protests broke out. Brawls were stopped. People were detained, whether man or machine. Fires were started. The world once again descended into madness, as though a new revolution had broken out to overthrow the consequences of the previous one. In a way Connor was relieved to be away from Detroit for a while. He was hoping the force back home could stop the breakout of riots before they spread to places like San Francisco.

"Well, the world's always changing. About time we try to keep up with it, even if some people don't want to." Hank said.

"It's constantly changing." Connor replied.