Chapter 24

"Darling!"

Scarlett jerked up, her accidental sky-gazing session coming to an abrupt close.

"Coming!" She yelped, jumping out of her bed and running down the stairs.

"Gee, break the stairs, why don't cha." Howard mused once Scarlett made it downstairs.

"Is that a challenge?" Scarlett asked, walking into the dining room.

"No, child." Howard responded exhaustedly, taking a seat in one of the chairs scattered around the table.

"Are you sure, because you know I can do that for ya if yo-" Scarlett cut herself off once she saw the table.

"What's all this, Dad?" Scarlett asked, gesturing towards the food on the table.

"What, is it a crime for a man to cook a meal for his daughter?"

"My room's right above the kitchen, but I didn't smell anything." Scarlett stated suspiciously, even though she took a seat anyways.

"So that's the reason why you're always the first one down when I cook." Howard chuckled heartily, the slightest bit of tiredness etched into his tone.

"No, I'm always the first one down, beca- wait, Dad!" Scarlett exclaimed, looking at her father with widenend eyes.

"Yes, love?" Howard asked, lifting his eyes to meet Scarlett's while picking up a fork.

"Don't change the subject!"

"I did no such thing, dear." Howard muttered, trying and failing to hold back a smile.

"You always break out the random pet names when you're lying, Dad." Scarlett pointed out, a small smirk on her face.

"Maybe it's just a way for me to express myself and how much I love you."

"Dad." Scarlett raised an eyebrow, her gaze becoming more skeptical with every passing second.

After a small staring contest, Howard sighed and lowered his head back at his plate.

"Alright, I might have gotten some help."

"Some help?" Scarlett kept the gaze, pushing her father even more.

"Okay okay! I got some takeout. I just didn't wanna waste my energy by cooking."

"See, was that so hard?" Scarlett teased, now looking at her father like one might look at a cute animal.

"Start eating, child." Howard said in an authoritative tone. Scarlett knew he was only joking, so she chuckled and started to eat.

There was mainly light-hearted banter between the two while they ate, consisting of the typical teasing, the occasional laughing fit, as well as one or two awkward conversations.

"So, Darling, how is school?"

"Dad, it's summer."

"Oh." A small pause. "I knew that."

However, after most of the food disappeared, Howard broke the tiny bit of silence with one sentence:

"How about a movie?"

₩|¤___________________¤|₩

It hadn't taken long for Howard to fall asleep, although Scarlett couldn't say she was surprised.

Howard had chosen a movie both of them had watched a million times, and Scarlett knew he only did this when he wanted to get a few hours of extra sleep.