Chapter 25

"Scar? What're you doing h-"

Scarlett held back shudder. Those words, while unfinished, felt way too familiar, and it caused a chill to run down her spine.

Scarlett shook her head and pushed her arm in the door and on the near wall, grabbed what she hoped was the car keys and walked away.

"I'll explain everything soon, just hurry!" She called over her shoulder as she unlocked this car, and got in the passenger seat.

Scarlett sat there, silently begging for the man to hurry up, as they still had two other places to go.

Granted, she didn't exactly want to bring her friends into this, she knew it would be beneficial to get some help.

Plus, they would kill her if she didn't. And the text never said they couldn't come along.

After what was much longer than Scarlett would like, Ben got in the car, and Scarlett shakily handed him the keys.

"Scarlett, what's going o-"

Scarlett simply handed him her phone, the message she received around 20 minutes ago showing on the screen.

"Oh, shit.. Is that-" Ben asked, looking away to start the car.

"As much as I don't wanna believe it," Scarlett sighed, biting her lip. "I think it's Holly."

"Oh, no.. Scarlett.."

"Can you pick up Jake and Jules? Their houses are on the way."

"Of course." Ben gave Scarlett a sort of half-smile and pulled out of the driveway, rushing down the street as fast as he could go while staying legal.

One of the last things they needed was to be stopped, much less by a cop.

"I told the others to get ready." Samantha said, her voice a small comfort in Scarlett's mind.

'Thanks, Ma.'

"Are you alright?"

Scarlett shivered slightly from the words spoken in unison. She peered at Ben, possible responses running through her mind at such a fast pace, she didn't think Samantha could hear them.

"It doesn't matter if I'm alright at the moment." Scarlett decided on, looking out the window to avoid Ben's periodic pitying gazes.

"What matters is if Holly is."

₩|¤___________________¤|₩

It was 10:40 when they were finally en route to the building.

Apparently, the other two had already gone to sleep, the weight of the past two days catching up to them a lot slower than it did for Scarlett.

Thankfully though, as soon as Scarlett told them what was going on, the weariness had disappeared without a trace, each of them buzzing with questions about who could have done this.

However, everyone except Ben knew exactly what they were walking into.

After everyone's questions were answered, the car was left with a deafening silence, crushing everyone with its purity.

Scarlett fiddled with her fingers, looking in the rear view mirror.

She could tell both Jake and Juila weren't completely awake yet, and that they were struggling to keep their eyes open. They both were looking out the window, occasionally slapping themselves lightly in an attempt to wake themselves up.

A frown settled on Scarlett's features. She wasn't exactly sure why she had brought them along, now that she thought about it.

Maybe she had wanted moral support? The text hadn't said she had to bring them along; Just her and Ben needed to be there.

So why had she felt compelled to ask them? Maybe it's because of what happened the last time she went somewhere without them.

However, just as Scarlett was about to open her mouth to ask them to reconsider, Jake set a hand on her shoulder.

Scarlett looked back, a question written on her face.

"What's on your mind, Letti?" Jake asked, clearing his throat once he heard how raspy his voice was.

"What do you think, Jake?" Juila murmured, rubbing her eyes. "Her sister is-"

"Jules." Ben spoke up, eying the female from the rear view mirror. "Not the time for a reminder. Let's just get this over with. Kay?"

Juila didn't respond. She just frowned and sat back in her seat, grumbling under her breath.

Scarlett and Jake shared a side glance, both of their eyebrows flying up before returning to normal.

"I've been friends with her for over 5 years and I can't even do that." Scarlett murmured to Ben incredulously.

"What's your secret?"

"A magician never reveals his secrets, Scar." Ben teased, side-eying

"You're not a magician! You're my step-brother." Scarlett pointed out with an eye-roll. "Now, spill!"

Ben smirked and opened his mouth to respond, but instead a small gasp just came out.

Scarlett furrowed her eyebrows, looking back at the others in the vehicle to find they had similar expressions.

"What?"

Jake gulped, pointing a shaky finger out the window. Scarlett followed where he was pointing, and found herself slack-jawed.

Her eyes darted a little to the right.

There, almost right behind it, she found the familiar white paint of the hospital.

"We're here." Scarlett breathed, taking off her seatbelt and rushing out the car door.

As she ran towards the building, she caught a glimpse of the time from her phone.

It was 10:50.

"Oh, wow." Someone -- Scarlett couldn't tell who -- exclaimed, and rightfully so.

The building was small, a lot smaller than Scarlett expected. It was completely encased in concrete, but there were little squares which, while also covered in concrete, was on every floor.

"Are all those.." Jake murmured, his eyes scanning the building.

"That's a lot of windows." Juila gulped.

"Windows mean rooms." Ben reasoned.

"And one of those rooms mean Holly." Scarlett breathed.

It was then Scarlett got a series of texts at the same time.

Unknown:  Congrats, you made it.

Unknown: And you brought extras?

Unknown: Not that I care. It's more fun this way.

Unknown: Remember. The clock is ticking and your sister's blood is dripping.

Unknown: See you soon.

Scarlett's jaw clenched at this person's choice of words.

But she didn't dwell on it long, for she grabbed Ben's arm and dragged him into the building, and whatever awaited them there.

__________________________________

A/N: This chapter took a lott more time than I thought it would  ^^'

What (or who) do you think awaits the four in the building? Or was it all a ploy?

Like what you've read? Let me know by either commenting or voting! And, share this story with your friends if you'd like! I'd appreciate it!

First Edit: Nov. 22, 2021
Second Edit: Nov. 29th, 2021.
Third Edit: Dec. 12, 2021.