Fleeting life

Mr. Parker's POV:

I grew up in a family that has a long history of serving in the military. Everyone has done their part in the family.

Except for me.

Well, I was never interested in war, I never understand the appeal of it but my family would urged me in any ways to give it a try. I could tell they were pressuring me to do it and plus with the fact that I was the second oldest child, the expectation to follow the tradition was even higher.

So, what I end up doing instead is that I would always busy myself with bodybuilding to get my mind off of it and just a general excuse to get away from my family.

Eventually, I found a passion in photography, something about it just always fascinates me. I guess it's the fact that I'm able to capture a moment and it's forever timeless.

So, without the knowledge of my parents, I went to study more about photography. At one point I was good enough to finally starting to make some money.

One day, I told my family about my profession and they were not so happy. They end up disowning me and soon kicked me out. I had to live with Darius for about a year and a half before I manage to found myself an apartment at a good price while still working as a freelance photographer.

At 25, I went to France to take scenery pictures for a company that I was working for at that time. There, was were I met the love of my life. I remember it like it was yesterday. She shyly approach me with a painting in hand. She would stammer about how she painted me because I was doing a very good pose. The way how she would occasionally peaks up at me under her glasses and softly bite her lip then give me a small smile made me fall so hard in love that I asked her out right there and then.

As we dated, I found out she's in a similar situation as me. Apparently, her family doesn't support her choice of pursuing art. She'd mention how she was tired of living with them.

So, I proposed to her and asked her to run away with me back to my home.

Up until 28 years old, everyday, living with her was like a dream that I felt like I was young again. At one point, we've also considered having a child but unfortunately, an accident that happened a long time ago had left her unable to conceive any children. We were both sad for some time but then a miracle happen. On the 25th of December a baby girl came into our arms and from that day forward, our life change.

When my daughter was twelve, it was then that I lost my wife to a car accident. I felt like a part of me was forcefully taken away, frankly I was devastated but what hurts me more is to see my daughter's face covered in tears as she cries her heart out. That was when I made that promise.

I no longer want to see her face cover in tears.

"She's late again." I mumble to myself as I look at the time which shows that she was supposed to be home 30 minutes earlier. I let out a sigh not knowing what to do at this point.
I hear a meow from below and I stare down to see Braveheart. A small smile appears on my face, "You're worried about her too?" the little cat meows in response. I decided to call my daughter but she won't pick up, so I settle with a voice message. I was about to record the voice message when I think back to the conversation I had with Darius.

"Look, I know you're worried about her but what's wrong with her acting like a kid for a while longer?"

"You don't understand-"

"Of course I understand! I had a kid at one point as well y'know!......*sigh* I know how you feel but....if you keep pressing on her like that then she'll end up closing up like you did with your family."