Chapter 8

Troubles come at the very unexpected times!

.

.

My lips got sealed. I didn't know what to say, or how to introduce the two of them. I looked over at the completely dumbfounded Ryan standing next to me. He looked at Jay with such shock that for a moment I thought he knew him. Then I looked back at Jay while he stood at my door.

"All okay, Jennifer? Do you need some help?", he said, eyeing Ryan.

"No..no! I'm fine. He's.. he's just an old acquaintance", I covered up my hesitation.

"That's weird! You don't have any in Brazil as far as I remember. But it's good to see someone visit you!", he said in a chirpy voice. He then came inside and extended his hand for Ryan to shake.

"I'm Jay, Jennifer's neighbor and apparently, her best friend!", he said.

Ryan stood there like a pillar, staring at the extended hand towards him. Finally, he realized the situation we were in and took his hand for a nice shake.

"I'm Ryan, her....um and old friend", he said hesitantly.

"Nice to meet you! It's great to see someone visit her after so long", he said

"Nice to meet you! It's great to see someone visit her after so long", he said. "She's my daughter, Tiana", he said as he looked at his beautiful daughter.

"What??? She is your daughter???", Ryan said with his eyes popped out of their sockets.

"Yes! Whose else would she be?", Jay teased.

It was then that I realized, until now, Ryan considered Jay to be my husband and Tiana to be our daughter. That's why all the blame game and all.

"Anyways, I'll see you guys later. We're getting late for school!", Jay waved us goodbye and left my apartment.

I quickly shut the door and turned around to face him with my hand on my hips.

"Hmm?", I raised my brow at him. "You were saying something? About my daughter? My husband? Please continue!", I said looking right into his eyes.

Ryan looked at me and bit his lower lip as he looked down on the ground.

"I....I thought he was your husband and the girl your daughter", he mumbled but I heard it anyway.

"Well, call it my bad luck or whatever you want but I'm still not divorced, something that I should have done earlier!", I said, emphasizing on the divorce.

His eyes shot at me as he looked into my eyes for some humor but none to be found because I wasn't joking. I was still very much married to him. That's the only reason why I didn't let any man come into my life.

"Then who in the world got you pregnant??? Did you sleep with?", before he could finish his sentence, I slapped him right across his face.