Ch.6 ~ Recovering and a Trip Gone Bad

Carlisle POV

"And it didn't even affect Jasper?" I ask, looking over at Edward and Rosalie. I had finished up Y/n's surgery almost an hour ago. She lay resting in her hospital room, I however had a small issue to deal with.

"Not in the slightest. Her scent and her blood doesn't affect us. Why is that Carlisle?" Rose asked, looking to me for the answers.

"I don't know. Edward you mentioned being unable to read Bella's mind, is it the same with Y/n's?"

"No hers I can read, it's only her sisters."

"So we have one whose mind cannot be read and another whose scent doesn't affect our kind. It's a rather strange case indeed." I say resting my thumb on my chin and index finger on my lips.

"And dangerous to our kind. Bella is way too curious about Edward. You have gathered that much from her sister's thoughts." Rose says in an angry annoyed tone towards Edward.

"So it's dangerous for Bella but not for Y/n?" Edward fires back.

"It's dangerous for them both. Bella's a part of Edwards future. Alice saw that she's Edwards' mate. You can't expect him to find this easy." I try to reason.

"I never said it wasn't dangerous for them both but Bella is poking her nose around in things that don't concern her." Rose defends accusing Bella of being nosy.

I can't blame her though. Earlier in the ER Bella seemed to be looking for some kind of answer from me when she brought up Edward in the accident.

"And how do you suppose I handle it, hmm?" Edwards asks Rose anger etching itself on every angle of his face.

"Distance yourself from her. Say you can't be friends. Do what you have always done with the girls in that school."

"You think I haven't tried to distance myself. Her blood draws me in that every time I'm around her, I feel like losing control."

"All the more reason to do so." Rose practically shouts as she throws her hands up in frustration.

"If you think it's so easy then try distancing yourself from Y/n." Edwards shoots back with just as much annoyance and frustrations.

This clearly catches Rose off guard as she stutters. "I- We cannot do that." Her voice was quiet and timid.

"Then you know how I feel." Edward says walking over to the window in my office and looking out of it as a silence falls on the room.

"Would you ask Carlisle to distance himself from Y/n? Even after knowing how long he's waited for his mate?" Edward mutters though we both still hear him.

"Edward!" I warn not wanting to start anymore arguments.

"Look for now we'll just leave things how they are. I'll do some research to see if I can see why Y/n scent and blood doesn't draw us in as for Edward you do what you feel the need to do. It's in your hands now which means you take responsibility for the consequences."

The two nod not muttering a word, silence once again filling the room. I let out a sigh as I looked at my watch. "You two should head back. You have school in the morning."

"You're working a night shift?" Rose asks, looking up from her place on the couch.

"Yeah, covering for a colleague." I answer, grabbing my white coat from the back of my chair and sliding it on.

The three of us walk over to the door of my office which I open. We walk out and I turn back to lock it before looking at Edward and Rosalie.

"We'll talk more when I get home, for now just leave things how they are and don't go into another debate with the others at home. Understand? I don't want any phone calls from Esmee." I warn.