Ch.16 The Tracker Named James

Y/n's POV

I was in the back of the truck and despite having my seatbelt on I was still wobbling and bouncing about in my seat from how fast Edward was driving. Going through a puddle the vehicle bounced causing me to lift slightly from my seat before gravity pulled me back down with a grunt.

The entire time Bella and Edward were arguing in the front. Due to the intensity of the situation I sat wide eyed in an eerie silence. I guess you could describe it as a child witnessing their parents fight. In fact those were the exact flashbacks I was having as the two continued to yell back and forth at each other.

"Listen to me. James is a tracker. The hunt is his obsession. I read his mind. He was reacting to Y/n's thoughts." My head jerked up when he mentioned my name. "My reaction on the field set him off. I just made this his most exciting game ever. He's never gonna stop."

"What should we do?" Bella asks calmly, worry and fear were lacing her voice.

"You'll have to kill him. Rip him apart and burn him to pieces." I answer, the two turning to look at me. "What? Carlisle told me."

"Where are we going?" Bella questions looking out the window.

"Away from Forks. We'll get a ferry to Vancouver."

"We have to go home. Now. You have to take us home." Bella demands, looking at Edwards and steadying herself by holding the dashboard. I was doing the same except in the back and holding her seat.

"You can't go home. He's just gonna trace your scent there. It's the first place he's gonna look."

"But dads there. We—"

"It doesn't matter!" Edward yells, cutting Bella off.

"Yes it does. He could get killed because of us!"

"Just let me get you out of here first, all right?"

"Our dad. We have to go back. We'll figure out a way to lead the tracker away somehow, I don't know. But we have to do something." Bella says.

After a long pause in the argument and a few glances between the two Bella seemed to have convinced Edward and we start heading home.

"Edward, why was he reacting to my thoughts?" I asked quietly once the two had stopped arguing.

"I don't know. But when he realised you had no scent he—"

"Wait what? What do you mean no scent?" I cut him off asking.

"It's why Jasper is able to be around you. Why he didn't lose control when you were bleeding in the school's lot. Your blood has no scent it doesn't draw us in."

"What, is there something wrong with my blood?" I ask and hear him laughing to himself shaking his head.

"You two are so alike. I told Bella I can't read her thoughts and she asked that same question. There's nothing wrong with you just... we're not drawn to you for your blood."

"Then what are you drawn to me for?"

"The same as James... answers." He says the car falling silent. My thoughts began to take over as I thought about what Edward meant by "answers."

Pretty soon we came up with a plan that Bella would pretend to break up with Edward and put on a scene in front of dad. That way he's most likely let us leave and we'd get the chance to check on him before going.

If James sees us leaving, dad should be safe.

As we enter the house Bella starts arguing with Edward. She slams the door in his face and we both run upstairs. Edward would meet Bella in her room while I head to mine and pack.