-(12) hate is too strong a word

DRACO walks upto his mother who is greeting guests by the stairs. She acknowledges him with a nod and continues talking to a mean looking lady in a green satin dress. He tries to act interested in their conversation but utterly fails. So he steps back a little and leans against the handrail, and waits for his mother to wind up the conversation.

"Do not slouch, Draco", she scolds him as she turns back after the lady walks away.

He furrows his brows at her. "I'm not slouching!"

"Yes, you are", she protests, placing a stern yet motherly hand on his back and applying slight pressure. "There. There. Up!"

"Come on, mother. That isn't any slouching at all!"

"You'll regret saying that when you're older and end up being the Leaning Tower of Pisa."

"Mom-"

"Why aren't you with your father?", she cuts across him, retreating her hand. Her voice is low, opposed. Because she knows. She knows how he feels about this but still she had decided to bring it up. He feels his face goes tight as abhorrence fills his mind. "Draco. I asked you a question."

"You know I want nothing to do with him and his matters", he grits out through his teeth, barely keeping himself in check. He loathed the idea of everything pertaining to Lucius Malfoy.

"But you have to, my love", she says with a grace only mothers could have. And it calms him down just that bit.

"Mother, please", he mumbles, meeting her eyes and silently begging through them. He really didn't want anything to do with his father's dark affairs.

"Alright." His mother yields to his request. "Alright. You don't have to." Narcissa was always more compassionate than Lucius. "Not yet." But she too had an extent.

"Draco! Mrs. Malfoy!" Pansy walks towards them in a gorgeous sky blue gown with an equally gorgeous smile on her face.

"Ah! Pansy, my darling." His mother pulls her into a hug and kisses her head. "How are you?"

"Very well", Pansy replies, pulling away from Narcissa and beaming at her. "What about you?"

"Oh I'm alright child. Thank you", his mother responds with a gentle smile herself. "Is Draco behaving alright at school?"

"Yeah. He is still being the arrogant bitch he is", Pansy replies earning a menacing look from Draco.

Narcissa turns to him and pulls him down to her level by his ear. "Draco." Her voice is scolding.

"Mother, there are people present", he whines out in pain. He can't be blamed here though. His mother had really sharp nails.

She lets go as Pansy chuckles in satisfaction. "You are too rude, Draco."

Just then, every single eye in the place snaps to an explosive angry voice a few feet away from them. It was his father and another man he could not recognise.

"You dare talk to me like that in my own house, you pathetic being", Lucius shouts at his companion.

It's Draco who chuckles this time. "It's hereditary, mother. You cannot blame me."

Narcissa sighs, pressing a hand to her forehead. "Let me go pull your father away. You both have fun. And behave, Draco." And with that she leaves them and makes her way towards Lucius. He can make out the reluctance in her steps but it was her duty- she has to.

"How was Christmas?", Pansy asks making him snap his head at her.

Draco doesn't reply as he feels that rage bubbling up in his chest once more.