-(90) if you weren't a malfoy

DRACO sits against a tree, waiting. He doesn't remember much but somehow he was pulled out of the water by Xena, who returned for him. And somehow, after regaining consciousness, he had willed his limbs into motion and arrived at the place where the cure was- the place where all of them were supposed to meet. Archie, Xena and Draco were the first ones there so they resolved to take a seat and rest for a while till the others arrived. But Draco can't seem to get enough rest with his mind being turmoiled by questions of Zilliah's safety. 

She should be safe. She is capable enough to ensure her own safety. Plus, she was with Theo who would risk his own life to save hers. But somewhere deep within Draco, a fear sprouts- a specific fear that has no doubt in Zilliah's capabilities but complete distrust in Theo's intentions. 

But Theo is one of his best friends. He can be trusted.

Can't he?

"Are you always in your head all the goddamn time?", Xena speaks up from beside him, cutting through his thoughts. She sounds exhausted and worn out. But the look in her eyes is that of resilience- a trait that shouldn't be much of a surprise considering how she grew up.

"I'm worried", he finds himself speaking his mind to her. "What if something happens to her?"

"She is tough. I know that and I've only known her for a few hours. Have some faith, Draco."

"I do have faith in her but-"

"Shhhh", Xena lifts her finger to her lips, telling him to be silent. "She is fine. Everything is fine. Now clear your thoughts and listen to the sound of peace."

Draco gives in, letting the thoughts melt away from his mind, focusing on the gush of the wind and the chirping of the birds in the distance. Tranquil, sure. But his true definition of peace was laying in Zilliah's arms, feathering her with kisses and seeing her beautiful beautiful smile.

"You're getting into your head again", sighs Xena, stretching her limbs and turning to him.

"How do you know?", he quizzes, meeting her eyes and seeing, for the first time, how she and his mother- no, their mother- looked very alike. It's safe to say that the pair of them had taken much after Narcissa more than Lucius.

"Your body is the echo of your mind. In even more ways than you think", she even speaks with the calm air Narcissa holds, Draco notices.

Archie gets up from beside her and walks away and Draco understands that he is giving them the space to talk- the space to be- something they haven't had in a long time. And he silently appreciates him for it with a look.

"Thank you", Draco breathes, shifting his attention back to his sister. "For diving back in to save me."

Xena tries to hide the smile that creeps into her features. "Well", she speaks, "I want to kill you myself. I'm not going to let some stupid water demons take that chance away from me."

Draco chuckles at that and shakes his head, feeling a sense of accomplishment in finding a sister he never even was looking for. Hell, he didn't even know she existed, his memories definitely wiped away. Still, he feels a deep sense of remorse- shame- that he grew up having everything she didn't. But then, it's far better that she was away from the manor afterall. "You know what", he tells her, "You're lucky you got out when you did. Or all the gods be damned, you would've turned out to be like me."

It's Xena who chuckles this time. But even beneath that, he can still sense her longing.

What is the crudest fate in history? The absence of a family? Or the presence of one?

"I don't think you're half as bad as you think you are", Xena speaks, her words holding frankness and kindness, something he wasn't sure he deserved. "You were just born into an awful world, surrounded by awful people who made you do awful things." She takes a deep breath, relaxing herself more into his side. "But you are not awful. Awful people don't care about anyone but themselves. But you- you care. You care a lot for everyone but yourself, even more than you seem to admit."