-(95) death was playing with them

ZILLIAH apparates into Hogsmeade along with Elara, Layla, Ruth and Dex. Layla had disclosed to her how she used to visit Aberforth Dumbledore to provide essentials for the students trapped at Hogwarts. The passage she had mentioned will be their means of getting in but first and foremost, they have to make sure it's safe enough to bring the rest of their people there. So they land in Hogsmeade, triggering the apparition wards but to her surprise, not a single death eater comes to get them. Layla leads the way to Aberforth's house and the rest of them follow, soundless and swift nonetheless. 

Layla knocks on the door and in a minute, it swings open to reveal a man that looks almost identical to Albus Dumbledore. But then Zilliah remembers that brothers are supposed to look that way and composes herself.

He ushers them all in quickly, not asking any questions before they're inside the house and the door is locked. But anything asked or anything answered fail to reach Zilliah's ears as her eyes lock on that blonde-haired head bent over an unmoving body.

Draco. Bent over an unmoving Pansy. 

Blaise, a whole arm missing, is the first one who sees her and rushes to her side as she feels her leg give out from beneath. Narcissa's eyes lock on her with a pain she has never seen in them before. And Elara who comes up to her side, crashes to the floor before anyone can help her.

She crashes, biting back the cries at the tip of her tongue. She crawls, unable to even coordinate her movements properly. Elara reaches Pansy and takes her head from Narcissa's lap into her hands. She peers into those eyes. She pleads into those eyes. But the empty gaze she is met with crushes her. And she crumbles like a tower.

Spotting Elara, Draco lifts his head up and spins, his eyes locking on Zilliah. And she really doesn't know how she makes it over to him but she does and she holds his head to her chest, stifling his cries.

"She's gone", he mumbles, sheer agony in his voice. "She's gone, Zilliah."

And Zilliah can't ask how. Zilliah can't ask why. She can't breathe or move. She can only stay fixed in place, a mourning head to her chest, her mourning eyes fixed on her best friend's corpse.

Death was playing with them. Taking everyone they hold dear one by one. 

Death wants them to die living, draining everything out of them bit by bit by bit.

Elara caresses Pansy's face, talking to her, calling to her, telling her to come back. Pansy stays still and cold and gone but Elara can't seem to accept that. However could she accept that the love of her life has vanished from the phase of this earth forever?

Blaise drops to Elara's side and holds her against him as they cry. Zilliah too drops to her knees, feeling her whole self rip into a hundred pieces as she does. She pulls away from Draco and takes Pansy's cold and blue hand in hers. Pansy who she danced with in dorms. Pansy who tied her hair up when she was lazy to do so. Pansy who cuddled up against her and slept claiming she hated it. Pansy who literally risked her life to save hers. Pansy who lies dead before her very eyes.

And none of them can take it.

None of them can accept it.

Pansy who was a best friend to Zilliah and Blaise. Pansy who was a sister to Draco. Pansy who was a daughter to Narcissa. Pansy who was everything to Elara.

She can't be gone. How can she be gone? She was right there all this while. She was right there with them, that radiant smile on her face. She was right there with them, that stubborn scowl taking form.

She was right fucking here all this goddamn time.

How can she be not the very next second?

.