Chapter 1

A soft knock on my door wakes me up. I shoot up like I've been shot, even though I know that gunshots are much louder. It seems like I always have the same nightmare. I'm running away from something while people are trying to stop me. I hear the gunshot and know it's about to hit me when I wake up.

"Rebecca, it's time to wake up," my adoptive mother tells me as she cracks my door open to make sure I'm awake.

I smile at her before she walks back down the hall. Today is the day of the Choosing Ceremony. I don't know why there are butterflies in my stomach; I've done this before and I've already decided where I'll go.

I walk downstairs and smell the same oatmeal I eat every morning. I quickly eat it before I pull on my shoes and walk to the bus stop. When it finally comes I stand near the back with the other 16 year olds from Abnegation. I don't really know any of them but Nate, and none of them really know me.

When we finally reach the building where they hold the Choosing Ceremony we walk up all the stairs. When we enter the cavernous room I sit toward the beginning of the alphabet. There are only 13 people in front of me. The ceremony starts in a blur and soon the person in front of me stands to select his faction. He's from Amity but chooses Abnegation.

"Rebecca Beire," the lady leading the ceremony calls out. I hesitate for a second before I realize she's talking to me. I'm still not used to this new name.

I slowly stand and walk toward the podium. She hands me a knife and nods at me before I walk over to the glass bowls. I start to think about the first time I did this, the first time I had to choose. The bite of the knife on my palm brings me back to reality. I hold my palm out over the cold, gray rocks that symbolize Abnegation. I take a deep breath. I'm ready to start over.