Chapter 57

Eventually Tobias is dismissed from the infirmary after days of being stuck there. He's not allowed to do any "strenuous activity" until his stitches come out and the doctor gives him the all clear. He's mad about that and didn't hesitate to explain that to his nurse who told him that if he couldn't follow instructions they'd have to keep him there until the stitches came out. After that he stuck to scowling instead of complaining.

Since he got discharged this morning Tobias and I are going to meet with Tori in a few minutes. She said she's been needing to meet with us for a few days but couldn't since Tobias was in the infirmary. If she couldn't meet with us there it must be important.

"I'm glad you both could make it," Tori tells us as we walk into her office and sit down.

"So what's wrong?" I ask. Tori laughs slightly and shakes her head.

"Where did you get that something is wrong out of that?" I give her my best don't try to fool me face and she sighs. "Fine, Candor is holding a trial for Molly's death. I obviously have to go and since you were both there you have to go too. It shouldn't be a big deal; we didn't do anything wrong."

"Tori, you're not in trouble are you? You shot her out of self defense! She would have killed us all if you hadn't shot her!" I say.

"No, I'm not in trouble. They just want to make sure they have all of their bases covered. Some people might think that we went after her and killed her without cause but they can't argue with truth serum."

"There's something else that you needed to talk to us about, isn't there?" Tobias asks. Tori sighs, rolls her eyes, and crosses her arms over her chest.

"Remind me to never try to hide anything from you two. You'll be great parents. Your kids will never get away with anything. Fine, there is something else. Ed...um, well...Ed's missing. He never came back from looking for Molly."

"What?" Tobias shouts and I sigh in frustration.

"We've been looking for him for a few days now but we've seen no signs of him. We don't know where he could be."

"We'll find him. Chicago isn't big enough for him to hide forever. If he left we won't find him, but then he's no longer our problem," I say.

"Tris, this man kidnapped you! Don't you want him locked up? He's out there somewhere and could easily kidnap someone else and you're acting like it's no big deal!" Tobias exclaims.

"Of course I want him locked up and that's why we're going to find him."

"Alright, I just don't want you getting hurt."

"I know, and I'm not going to. I'll be careful."

"Nobody can go looking for him until after tomorrow," Tori tells us.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because tomorrow we have the trial at Candor."

After talking for a few more minutes Tobias and I leave. We head back to our apartment and I quickly change into workout clothes. I'm frustrated with everything going on and need to take my mind off of it. I can tell Tobias is frustrated too but with his stitches he can't do anything. Normally he'd go workout too but since he can't he's going to go meet Zeke and Uriah to hang out.

I grab my gun and knives and head to the training room. I walk through the doors and smile at the familiar smell of iron and sweat. It's a disgusting smell but I find it oddly comforting. That safe feeling is suddenly washed away when I realize that I'm not the only one here.

"Hello?" I call out as I grab one of my knives. Sure a gun is quicker but if I'm forced to defend myself I don't want to shoot them. It's harder to get them to talk if they're shot.