Chapter 37

The next day we start showing the initiates how to fight. I decided a few days ago that we should demonstrate how a real fight will actually go before they start fighting each other. I haven't told Tobias yet since I know he won't want to do it. If he won't then I know that either Uriah or Christina will.

"Hey, Tobias, I think we should demonstrate a fight today. That way the initiates can see how a real fight will go," I tell him as we set up the punching bags. They won't actually start fights until tomorrow but it's good to start showing them stuff now.

"Okay, I'm sure Christina and Uriah would gladly demonstrate."

"I was kind of hoping we could demonstrate."

"I'm not so sure that's such a good idea. If I hurt you I couldn't forgive myself."

I knew this was coming. "But you won't hurt me. Besides, I've fought you twice so far and I'm still in one piece."

"Why don't we just demonstrate some different techniques?"

"Because the point is that they can see an actual fight, not people walking through the motions."

"Fine, if you can find someone else to fight you before the first initiate shows up then you can do it." I can tell by the look on his face that he doesn't think I'll make it.

"You're on!" I tell him as I sprint out the door and toward the other training room.

"Uriah, fight me!" I shout as I burst through the doors.

"What? Now?" he asks. He sounds really confused.

"No, during training today. After all your initiates show up bring them to our training room and we're going to demonstrate a fight. Okay?"

"Yeah, sure, see you then!"

"Thanks!" I yell as I sprint back to our training room. As I round the corner I see Kaden walking toward the door. I sprint even faster, knowing that I have to win this bet. A few seconds before Kaden enters I burst through the door. None of the other initiates are here yet. I win!

"I win!" I pant out as I throw my arms up in victory.

"Win what?" Kaden asks.

"A bet."

"Who did you find?" Tobias asks.

"Uriah. When all his initiates get there they're coming here."

Tobias groans slightly, but not loud enough for Kaden to hear. "I don't like this, Tris."

"I'll be fine. If you think that I'm in trouble then you can stop it, but I can take care of myself. Uriah won't hurt me. And if you're so worried about me getting hurt then you should have just agreed to fight me so you wouldn't have to worry about it."

"So you say, but-"

Just then the door opens and all the other initiates enter the room. They're followed shortly by Uriah, Christina, and their initiates.

"Today Uriah and I will be demonstrating a fight since we are starting fighting today. We thought that it would be beneficial for you to see a fight before tomorrow when you will be fighting another initiate," I explain. Some people look scared and some look excited. "Does anyone have any questions?"

"How do you know who wins?" Kali asks.

"Whenever someone either gives up or can't continue then they are out," Christina replies.

"Anybody else?" Nobody says anything. "Let's go, Uriah."

I step into the ring across from Uriah. This will be weird; I've never fought him before. We start moving toward each other. Before I can throw my first punch he's swinging at my head. I duck in time and punch at his jaw on my way up. He blocks my punch easily and tries again. This time I lean back and his fist misses my head by inches. As I lean back in I kick him in the ribs.

Uriah falls to the ground and I quickly move to pin him. I'm on top of him with one of his hands above his head but he's able to get up before I get him completely pinned. I quickly jump up after him but he's faster and gets a good hit in on my jaw. I stumble backward, slightly stunned, but recover quickly. He tries to sweep my feet out from under me but I move to the side and punch him in the gut. I hear him gasp slightly but he doesn't slow down.

Before I know it I feel a sharp pain in my ribs and realize that Uriah kicked me. I stumble slightly but am able to stay on my feet. I see a slight look of worry pass over his face so I give him a small smile to tell him I'm alright before I punch him in the jaw again. While he's off balance I kick him in the ribs. This time when he falls I'm able to pin him before he gets back up.

"Done," I hear Tobias say behind me before I roll off Uriah and get back up. When I'm on my feet I offer Uriah a hand which he takes. Instead of using it to pull himself up towards me like I had planned he pulls me down on top of him. I can't help but laugh, even if it's not what I had expected.

"You okay?" he asks when we're both on our feet.

"Yeah I'm fine, you?"

"I'm good."

"Hey Four, how long did that last?" I ask. He and Christina are currently pointing out some of our different strategies and techniques to the initiates.

"12 minutes."

I nod. It's a decent time. It let the initiates see more fighting than they would have if I had fought Tobias. I turn to Uriah to shake his hand.

"Good fight," I tell him while waiting for him to take my hand.

"Common, you can do better than a handshake, Tris," he teases as he pulls me into a sweaty hug. I hug him back.

"She just beat you and you're still friends with her?" Dimitri asks Uriah. He sounds shocked, like he's surprised that Uriah's not mad.

"Of course! She's like a little sister to me, but she's also one of my best friends." He drapes his arm across my shoulders and pulls me toward him. I guess he feels kind of protective of me, especially when guys act like I'm weak.

"You had to go with little sister, didn't you?" I joke.

"Yes, because you're little," he replies while grinning down at me. I roll my eyes and lightly punch him in the stomach as we walk over to Tobias and Christina. When we're finally done talking about technique and strategies it's time for lunch and I'm starving.