Chapter 34

At dinner I ask Tobias about the names of all the initiates since I missed them. I know Audrey but that's it. It turns out we have three girls and three boys. Ty and Audrey are from Candor. Vince, Kaden, and Madison are from Erudite. Lila is from Amity. Madison was the first transfer to jump, which reminds me of the first jumper.

"What was the name of the first jumper?" I ask.

"Max," Uriah answers since Tobias has a mouthful of cake. I must look confused because he quickly adds that it's short for Maxine.

"What about the guy after her?"

"Oh, that's Micah."

"Are they related?"

"No, why?"

"They seem really close. I thought they might be a couple but I wanted to make sure they weren't related before I jumped to conclusions."

Before dinner is over I figure out that there are five girl and seven guy Dauntless born initiates. The girls are Max, Serena, Kali, Samantha, and Emma. The boys are Micah, Heath, Quentin, Eli, Dimitri, Rowan, and Ross.It turns out that Rowan and Ross are cousins but they look and act like twins. Christina was able to confirm that Max and Micah are a couple. (For some reason I'm not surprised she knows this.)

When we're done eating Tobias and I go back to our apartment. It's been a long day and tomorrow will be even harder. As soon as my head hits the pillow I'm out.

<<<•>>>

In the morning Tobias and I set up the knives for initiation today. We have just finished when the first initiates stroll in. When everyone arrives Tobias begins to explain what we're doing today.

"Today you will be learning how to throw knives. Does anyone want to try right now?" Nobody moves.

"I'll demonstrate," Tobias says. I watch as he walks pulls a knife out of his pocket, spins it around a few times, then throws it. It hits the dead center of the target.

"I bet she can't do that and that's why Four had to demonstrate," Lila whispers.

I pull a knife out of my boot and throw it at the target in front of me as I stand. It hits the dead center. I see Lila pale.

"That's for anyone who doubted my ability to throw a knife," I tell them.

"Tris, why don't you demonstrate something for me?" Tobias asks. I'm confused so I walk over to him. "Go stand in front of the target," he whispers in my ear.

I smile slightly as I walk over to the target. When I turn around I hide my smile and stare at Tobias.

"This is an example of an act of bravery. During Tris' first initiation she took another initiate's spot in front of this target, knowing that if she flinched she would be kicked out of Dauntless and would become Factionless. I had to throw the knives at her." He turns back to me and grabs his first knife. "You ready Stiff?" he jokes. I frown at his use of my old nickname.

"Bring it."

He throws the first one and it lands a few centimeters over my head. I can hear it slice through the air and feel it stir my hair. Before I can think he throws the next one and it lands an inch away from my shoulder.

"Common, we know he wouldn't hit her!" Lila says right as Tobias throws the last knife. I see it spinning toward me faster and faster. He's going to hit my ear again.

I feel the cold blade nick my ear. It's the same spot he's hit every time. I can't help but smile slightly as I press my fingers to the cut and look down at the blood on my fingers. I laugh slightly and walk over to Tobias.

"He actually hit her!" Lila whispers in awe.

"You okay, Stiff?" Tobias teases. He has another knife in his hand and is twirling it around.

"You know better than to ask that," I say as I walk past him. He laughs at me. "Jerk."

I walk around with Tobias to make sure none of the initiates are messing up too badly. I walk behind Audrey as she prepares to throw her knife. When she pulls her arm back the knife slips out of her hand and flies backward.

"Hey!" I shout as I duck out of the way of the knife.

"What? You scarred of a little knife?" Audrey asks.

"No, I don't like it when people act like they know what they're doing and then jeopardize the safety of those around them because they're too arrogant to admit they don't know what they're doing!"

Tobias walks over to see what's going on.

"What's the matter, Tris?"

"She just blew up on me because I asked her what I was doing wrong!" Audrey tells him.

"To be a former Candor you really do lie a lot don't you? " I ask her.

"I don't know what you're talking about! Four, can you walk me through the proper technique since Tris won't?"

"You need all the help you can get! A good knife thrower wouldn't have thrown it backward and endangered those around them!" I snap.

Tobias sighs and walks over to Audrey. He takes her hand in his and walks her arm through the motion. I want to strangle that girl. She needs to back off. I'm interrupted from my thoughts when I hear her thank Tobias. A minute later he dismisses everyone for lunch.

"Tris, wait," he calls after me as I turn to go after picking up the knifes scattered about.

"What?"

"Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because Audrey almost hit you with a knife?"

"Oh, so you do believe me?"

"Of course I do, but I had to show her the proper technique. Don't worry, she'll pay for it later."

"She's flirting with you, you know?"

"Really?"

"Yes, but you're mine."

"I know."

He leans down and kisses me before we go to lunch.