Chapter 17

I meet back up with Tobias around 8 to go to Uriah's to play Candor or Dauntless. I'm wearing a few more layers than I normally would but I'm not too worried about having to strip, I can take whatever they dish out. Besides, Tobias did say that nobody ever actually has to strip, but most people do wear extra layers just in case they get a bad dare or tough question.

"Will I be the only initiate there?" I ask on our way to Uriah's apartment.

"I think so. Normally it's just me, Zeke, Uriah, Christina, Marlene, Shauna, Lynn, and sometimes Tori."

"Tori?"

"Yes, Tori. She doesn't come by often but she has come once or twice."

"How come I haven't seen her around?"

"She's a leader. She's at the very top, which is probably why she doesn't come very often."

By this time we've reached Uriah's apartment so we go in. We're the last ones to arrive.

"Finally! Now we can play!" Uriah exclaims.

We all sit down on the ground in a circle and start to play.

"I'll go first," Uriah says. "Zeke, Candor or Dauntless?"

"Dauntless, obviously."

"Great! I dare you to go into the dauntless born initiate's dorm and start screaming and running in circles until one of them asks you what you're doing. Then just calmly walk out of the room without answering them."

"Easy! Who wants to come with?" Uriah, Christina, and Tobias go. A few minutes later they return, all laughing like maniacs.

"Dude, you didn't have to wave your arms around above your head!" Uriah says to Zeke through his laughter.

"Yes, but without the arm motions I would have just looked stupid!" explains Zeke.

"And the way your face just went blank before you calmly walked away was priceless!" Christina says.

They all sit back down. "Four, Candor or Dauntless?" Zeke asks.

"Dauntless."

"I dare you to kiss your friend B here."
He shrugs and leans toward me. His lips slowly move against mine for a minute and then are gone.

"Christina, Candor or Dauntless?"

"Dauntless."

"Perfect! I want you to go convince someone in the cafeteria to give us some Dauntless cake!"

"Challenge accepted! Who wants to come?"

Uriah and Zeke go with her, and a few minutes later she returns with a whole cake, a knife, and a few plates. Everyone gets a piece and digs in.

"B," Christina asks through a mouthful of cake, "Candor or Dauntless?"

"Candor."

I see Uriah trying to hold his tongue.
"Just let it out Uriah," Christina tells him.

"Pansycake!"

"I'm not a wimp!" I shoot back. He looks impressed that I know the term Pansycake.

"What does B stand for?" Christina asks.

I turn and stare at Tobias. He knows what I'm about to do. "Beatrice. B stands for Beatrice."