Chapter 15

I lost. The words still ring through my head even after I leave the ring. I lasted 5 minutes, better than anyone so far, but I still lost. I was so sure of myself when I entered the ring, but apparently I shouldn't have been.

I look up just in time to see Grayson fall to the ground, unconscious. How long did he last? I don't even know. I wasn't paying attention. I would guess close to 3 minutes, but it may have been longer.

At least I didn't get knocked out.

I watch as Thomas steps in the ring. He looks at ease, like he's not worried about Tobias. He should be worried though. He's never fought him. I've never seen anyone win a fight against Tobias.

Thomas throws the first punch and I watch as Tobias easily blocks it. He tries another, but Tobias blocks that one as easily as he blocked the last one. Thomas throws another punch at his face, but this time Tobias catches his arm and flips him onto the ground.
I hear his head crack against the ground but he stays conscious. Tobias moves to pin him but Thomas punches him in the mouth before he can get him pinned. This only makes Tobias angrier and he has Thomas pinned in a matter of seconds. He lasted 5 minutes. The same as me.

After we are dismissed everyone starts heading toward the door. "B, can I speak with you?" Tobias asks from somewhere behind me.

I stop but I don't turn to look at him. Everyone is gone by the time he speaks again. "I need to explain, Tris."

"Fine," I spat at him as I cross my arms defensively over my chest. He sounded sincere but I've fallen for his tricks before. I decide to follow him anyway as he walks out the door because now I'm curious.

Before I know it we're at his room and he's unlocking the door. He walks in and gets a bag of ice out of his freezer. I think it's for him until he comes and holds it against my jaw.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

I slap the bag out of his hand and shove away from him.

"I'm not mad at you for that, Tobias! I've been bruised before! Shit, I've been shot before! I'm mad at you because of yesterday!" I explode.

"You thought I was serious? After you saw what was going on today you still thought I was serious? Tris, I thought you knew."

"What are you talking about?" I'm still mad at him and I can hear the fire in my voice but it's not nearly as bad as it was before.

"I thought it would be better for you if you went into today angry with me. I thought you would fight even better if you were, which did happen, but I thought you would figure it out before the fight."

"But I didn't."

"I know, and I'm sorry. I was just trying to help you."

I sigh. "I know, and I'm sorry too."

"Why?"

"For blowing up like that."

"It's okay. I would have been mad too." He smiles and picks up my ice, pushing it against my bruised jaw.

"You lip is split, Tobias," I whisper, not wanting him to move away from me.

"Really? How bad is it?"

"There's blood. And it's swelling a little."

"You want to fix me up?"

He takes my hand and leads me to his bathroom. He sits down on the toilet lid and watches me as I grab a washcloth and run it under cold water. I walk back over to him and gently wipe the blood from his chin and lip. He stares at me the whole time. When I've gotten all the blood off I pick up my ice pack from the edge of the sink and press it against his lip. He shakes his head at me and moves it back to my jaw.

"Yours is worse," he whispers.

"How bad is it?"

"It's blue and slightly swollen. Tris, I'm so sorry-" I cut him off with a kiss.

He's surprised at first and for a second it's like kissing a statue, but then he starts to move his lips against mine. It's slow at first, but slowly the kisses start to gain force.

"Ow," I whisper as I pull away.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have pushed that hard."

"No, I was over reacting. It was nothing."

"Obviously it was something or you wouldn't have said ow."

"No, really, I'm fine."

I grab his hand and pull him out of the bathroom. When he sees that I'm headed toward his bed he picks me up and starts kissing me.