Chapter 21

Tobias and I walk across the Dauntless compound hand in hand. It's lunch time so there's nobody out in the halls. At least that's what I thought.

"Hello, Lovebirds!" someone calls as they come up behind us.

I jump slightly then turn and punch him in the gut. He lets out a muffled oomph sound as he doubles over, holding his stomach.

"You know, I just ate, so that was very risky. I might have thrown up all over you! And for the record Tris, only Pansycakes jump like that."

Now I can tell it's Uriah, but he should really know better than to sneak up on us! I'm kind of surprised Tobias didn't punch him first! Unless of course Tobias knew it was Uriah, which based on the fact that he's laughing and doesn't look like he wants to pummel Uriah I would guess he did.

"Do Pansycakes punch like that, Uriah? We all know I could take you!"

"Are you sure you want to go zip lining tonight because you kind of need me to get in."

I glare at him, knowing he has me on that one. Of course I could just show up even if he decided not to take me, but I'm not sure he'd let me go down the zip line.

"Great!" he exclaims, knowing he's won. "Now where are we going?" he asks as he squeezes in between us and drapes one are around Tobias' neck and one around mine.

"Well Tris and I are going to see Tori," Tobias says as he removes Uriah's arm from his neck, "while you go do whatever it is exactly that you like to do with your free time."

"Well, normally that would include a fake mustache, a leotard, and some body glitter, but today I was wondering if you all would be up for an afternoon round of Candor or Dauntless."

Tobias looks at me, silently asking if I want to go. I guess we're ignoring whatever Uriah does with a fake mustache, a leotard, and body glitter. I shrug. "I'm in." Tobias agrees to go too and Uriah finally leaves to go get his apartment ready.

"Are we just going to ignore the fact that Uriah likes to do something with a fake mustache, a leotard, and body glitter?" I ask.

"Yes, because it's Uriah," he says as he wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me close to him. "I think he was making it up, but with him you don't really know."

When we finally get to Tori's office Tobias knocks on her door. "Just a minute!" I hear her call.

We sit down in the chairs outside and wait for what feel like hours. I look up at the clock. It's been 10 minutes. A few minutes later she opens the door and a man in a suit walks out. I guess she was in the middle of a meeting.

"Come in Four and..." she waits for me to introduce myself but the man is only a few feet away. "Four's friend," she finishes.

She leads us into her office. It's big and has big windows on the far wall. Everything's so clean with neat lines. I'd never imagined Tori in such a bright, clean room but it just makes her look more intimidating. She steers us toward two chairs set up across from her desk.

"Why did you need to see me, Four? And why did you need to bring your initiate?"

"That's a long story, and it's not actually mind to tell."

"I guess that's where she comes in."

He nods and looks at me. "Tori, I really need to explain, but I'm not sure how to start."

"Let's start at the very beginning. A very good place to start."

"Okay," I sigh as I take off Tobias' hoodie. I just realized that I'm burning up.

Tori gasps and reaches over to touch my collarbone. "You've added another."

A/N
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read this fanfiction. It really means a lot to me.