Chapter 47

The next few days go by in a rhythm. We wake up, go eat, run fear simulations, eat lunch, hang out with our friends, eat dinner, and go home and go to sleep. Today should be different since it's the final day of initiation. That means it's time for the fear landscapes.

I slowly make my way to the observation area and sit down next to Tobias. Tori is here with us to watch the fear landscapes since she's the head Dauntless leader. We quickly set up the simulations that make up the landscapes themselves and organize all of the information so it's in the right order for the initiates. Although we can't see their fears in the data it tells the program which fears to run based on some weird Erudite technology. Caleb probably knows how it all works but all I know is that I just have to put the names in order. As much as I want to understand it it's hard to learn about it from Dauntless.

Tobias gives Uriah a thumbs up to signal that he can give the first initiate the serum for the landscape. Uriah nods back in response and goes to get the first initiate. Soon after that the simulations begin.

<<<•>>>

After the simulations end Tobias and I work on putting up the equipment for the fear landscapes. Christina and Uriah stay back with us so we can all go eat lunch together. Tori had a meeting to attend so she left as soon as the last simulation was over. Packing up all of the equipment goes by quickly and soon we're heading to the cafeteria.

We get our food from the cafeteria and take it back to Christina's apartment so we can discuss the final rankings for the initiates. It takes us about an hour but then we're done and we don't have to worry about anything until Tori announces the final ranks tonight. As we're about to leave Uriah invites us to a game of Candor or Dauntless tonight. We don't have anything else to do and it's normally fun so we agree to come. After that we head over to the infirmary to see about getting my arm out of this stupid sling.

When we get to the infirmary we have to wait for a few minutes before a doctor comes to check my arm. He leads it through different motions and stretches. When I tell him that it doesn't hurt at all he says that I don't have to wear the sling anymore. I sigh in relief and then we leave. I'm so happy that I don't have to put up with that stupid sling anymore.

Since I'm free to use my arm again we go by our apartment to change clothes and then go to the training room to work out. Although it's only been a few days since I last worked out it feels like I've been forgetting something. While I'm punching a punching bag I feel someone suddenly put their hand against my stomach and I gasp.

"Keep tension here," Tobias tells me as he pulls me back closer to him. I relax into him even though he's sweating. "Tris I said to keep tension here not completely relax."

"I know," I say as I turn to face him. His arms go around my waist and he pulls me against him. I look up at his face and slowly bring my lips up to meet his. He kisses me back gently as he runs a hand up into my hair, pulling my face closer to his. Just as I'm thinking that things could get intense somebody clears their throat.

"You know, lovebirds, you have an apartment. It's a nice apartment too. You two should really go there if you're going to make out so I don't have to watch," the person says. I have my back turned so I can't see who it is although the voice does sound familiar.

"Nobody said that you have to watch, Zeke," Tobias says as he lowers his lips back to mine. Zeke starts gagging.

"Fine, Zeke. What do you want?" I ask as I pull away from Tobias who frown and glares at Zeke.

"Oh, nothing. I was just walking past and saw you two and thought I'd stop by." Tobias growls and glares at Zeke even harder than before. "You both are coming to Uriah's tonight for Candor or Dauntless, right?" Zeke asks as he lazily throws a knife at a target. It misses the center by a lot. "I mean, you don't have to put up with initiates anymore; you might as well celebrate."

I walk over and throw my own knife. It hits dead center. "Yes we're going," I tell him with a cocky grin.

"I wasn't trying to hit the center, Tris," Zeke says with a frown. I just shrug. "Do you think you could hit the center without trying?" he asks and I just shrug again. "Well then let's see it!" he challenges. I shrug in response. "Is that all you can do, shrug?" I smile at him and shrug.

I close my eyes, turn around, walk back a few steps, pull my spare knife out of my boot, and turn and throw it at the target. I hear it stick and I open my eyes. I smile slightly when I see that it hit dead center. Instead of gloating like I could choose to do I simply walk to the target and pluck the knife out of the board.

"Show off," Zeke mumbles under his breath as I pass him on my way over to Tobias.

"Pansycake," I murmur back. He puts a hand over his heart and gasps in fake shock.

"Tris, Zeke isn't an initiate; you don't have to show off. Besides, Zeke doesn't really try to throw well unless he's trying to impress a girl or protect himself," Tobias tells me.

"It's true, and I'm with Shauna now so it's been a while since I actually tried," Zeke explains. "Do you want to see what I can actually do?" I shrug with a blank look on my face that says that I really don't care. Zeke smiles at me.

"Zeke don't you dare," Tobias tells Zeke with a hard stare as he points at him. Is jaw is clenched and his other hand locked in a fist.

"Dude relax, I'm not trying to hit on Tris! She made it a challenge and now I have to prove myself! Besides, I love Shauna. Why else would I have a ring?" I nearly choke on my spit. Zeke bought a ring? Every time Shauna has asked about the future he has told her that he's not ready to settle down yet. He told her that just last week!

"You bought her a ring?" Tobias asks, his face softer and full of shock.

"I love her, of course I bought her a ring."

"What happened to you not being ready?" I question.

"I'm trying to surprise her. I know it's lame but I want one of those scenes where I get down on one knee and she starts crying because she knows what I'm going to say and she's so thrilled. I want her to be so choked up that when I ask her if she will marry me she's so surprised and exciting that she can only nod and eventually sob out a yes. Most of all, I want her to say yes."

"She'll say yes," I whisper as I put my hand on his shoulder. "It's not lame; it's never lame to love someone that much. She'll say yes." And I know she will. I smile a small smile because I realize what I want with Tobias. I want to get married and grow old together. I want to have something more to tie myself to him. Yes he's my boyfriend but that sounds so temporary. I love him and I never want to leave him.

"I hope you're right," Zeke interrupts my thoughts with a sigh. "Now, I think we have a challenge to complete," he says while spinning a knife in his hand. I smile and watch as he throws the knife at the target. It hits the center and sticks.