Chapter 4: Mistrust

"General, you called for me," Antony said, touching his hat.

"Yes, I have a new assignment for you."

Their meeting places were usually garden supply stores. For this, Antony grew a large garden on his terrace in addition to all his work.

"I want you to tail Mr. William Advent."

"Mr. William Advent, the one next in line for Watford dukedom?"

"The very same."

"I am sorry, General. I can't."

"I wouldn't ask you if there were other ways."

"Can't you assign someone else? Following Robert Advent must be a piece of cake. He doesn't look very intelligent to me."

"You would be surprised if I told you this, the agent I assigned to tail Mr. Robert has been missing for over a fortnight now. We haven't seen hide nor hair."

"What!?"

"Things are getting murkier. I need to rope you in." Antony was concerned about the missing agent but couldn't ask for an identity. It was essential in espionage not to know too many secrets in case you are captured.

"I already have my plate full. I may not find time to tail whilst working on Carmella, Sterling and Wilcock."

"You don't have to work on Sterling anymore."

"I have spent a whole month on him. You can't pull me out now! You could make do with someone for Carmella."

"She is a high-value target, you are not wriggling out of it."

Seeing Antony grimace in pain, the General guffawed. Antony couldn't help but wince every time she or even the word musical was mentioned. He wished for once his brain stopped pulling Marcus' various naked forms.

"That bad, ye!"

"You got no idea."

"I might have got some ideas. Just don't think too much and learn a few new moves when you are at it. Might come handy during your wedding night."

Antony's look of dismay earned him another round of laughter. The General was a jolly good man with a pleasant smile. No one would believe he was head of the British Intelligence service. Even Antony, with his keen observation, couldn't have guessed it.

"I will look into Robert, but I want an increment and incentive for the overtime," ended Antony and stood to leave.

"And hey, look after yourself. You are valuable to me."

"You are losing your touch, old man," Antony grumbled silently.

The General heard it nevertheless, "Watch whom you are calling an old man," he said gruffly but didn't sound too stern.

Antony wished he could relax in his study with a good book for one bloody night, but now he had to force himself to attend one social event after another. With Mr. Robert's case vacations were now out of the question.

The Annual Evan's ball arrived, where Carmella performed. Mr. Sterling and Mr. Robert were in attendance. What a jolly good evening it is going to be, Antony grumbled to himself.

Antony wished Frances would attend. He liked her, she was a jolly good person; someone easy to be with. He was pretty sure Miss. Frances never knew his name yet even if he had danced with her twice already. He chuckled to himself.

As Antony was settling in his place reading the guests, his heart began a drumroll. Matilda walked in regally in the arms of Mr. Hugo Long. He mumbled something to her, making her smile. Antony resolved to talk to her no matter what.

Matilda was conversing with Lady Emma, the Duchess of Watford.

"Lady Advent," he bowed and kissed Emma's knuckles.

"Mr. Bennet, let me introduce to you Lady Matilda Bliver and Mr. Hugo Long," turning to Matilda, Emma said, "This is Mr. Antony Bennet."

Antony took Matilda's hand and carefully placed a breezy kiss on her knuckles. He couldn't help feeling smug, noticing her ear turning deep pink. Antony always imagined that Matilda liked him too.

Mr. Long left for the dance floor with Lady Emma. Antony was oblivious to everything else but Matilda. They set their eyes on each other. Without a word Antony offered his hand, she took it as he led her to the dance floor. The air around them heated up.

The music ended but they were still swaying to the music of their heart, neither willing to let go.

"There you are!" Antony heard someone say, but it sounded distant and far off. Matilda immediately let go, breaking their trance. Without so much as a word she turned and left. Antony wanted to beat the imbecile who caused the havoc. It was Marcus.

"What are you doing here?" Antony asked, not too kindly.

"What else would one do here? Attending the ball, of course."

"I thought you said you weren't coming."

"Important invite, could not decline."

Antony knew Marcus too well to fall for his bluff. With his patience thinning with every second, he asked in exasperation, "Just name the woman you are after now."

"No one," he answered, sounding honest.

"Let me rephrase. Which woman is after you?"

"The list is long, and I don't remember most names."

"Marcus, you already have two mistresses not counting Carmella. When will you stop being this wayward lover?"

"Can't you lecture me some other time? I am having a headache."

Antony turned to the crowd, Matilda and Mr. Long were nowhere to be seen. Antony's mind turned to his friend. Marcus came from a broken family, it's almost two decades since Marcus' parents spoke with each other. Since his birth, Marcus has always been treated as the Earl of Brentwood and never a kid. Antony suddenly felt ashamed for lashing out at Marcus.

"I am sorry man," Antony apologised.

"No offence taken," said Marcus good-naturedly.

Antony's eyes darted to Mr. Robert Advent who was dancing with Lady Emma. The woman looked extremely uncomfortable. Clearly, Robert was employing his vile means to get his hands on Emma. Both friends moved in unison. Marcus tripped Mr. Robert making him fall, while Antony took Emma's hand and in a smooth move guided her away.

"The nerve of him!" seethed Marcus silently. Lady Emma looked thoroughly shaken as she sat clutching a lemonade. She looked ready to cry.

"I will fetch her carriage." Marcus nodded as Antony went outside.

On his way out, Antony recognized some faint whispers. He surreptitiously moved towards the voices and was not surprised to hear Mr. Robert.

"We should revert to our original plan with Emma. If she ever has a son I will lose the dukedom," growled Mr. Robert.

"Okay, sir."

"And dig for every piece of information about Antony Bennet."

"Antony Bennet, sir?"

"Yes. Something doesn't add up... He has no title or wealth. There is nothing uncommon about him. Yet I see him everywhere. A mere land agent who keeps attending every important social event."