Chapter 13: Pity

Emma rushed out and hugged Amelia.

'I thought! I thought! Thank god you're fine!" Emma sobbed, clutching Amelia.

"No need to get all worked up. I am still alive," Amelia said, pulling away from Emma's hug.

"We must leave before the town authorities arrive," said Antony

"You informed the town authorities?" asked Amelia.

"I instructed Rame, we might have needed backup in case the rescue failed."

"I don't want anyone to know Amelia was involved. It would ruin her reputation," said Nicholas.

"It is your fault, you marry a riff-raff and I become the one to suffer," said Amelia, to her father.

"Amelia!" started Nicholas angrily.

Emma put a hand on his chest, stopping him.

They all walked outside. The horses Nicholas and Antony rode were grazing nearby.

"I am not riding with Mr. Bennet. What if someone sees me with him?" Amelia said, her nose wrinkled in disgust.

"Don't worry, I am already engaged," he replied, returning the nose-wrinkling.

"That's even worse."

"I can't ride too," added Emma.

"Why not?" asked Nicholas.

"Isn't it obvious?" asked Amelia, before Emma could answer.

"What's obvious?"

"She is pregnant."

Nicholas froze in tracks.

"No need to look like you have been clubbed in the head," scorned his daughter.

Nicholas came out of his daze and asked, "Is it true?"

Again Amelia answered before Emma, she wanted to ruin it for them. "You both were trashing all over the place like a pair of eels, it's hard not to."

Lord Nicholas kissed Emma on her forehead.

Antony and Amelia left silently not wanting to disturb them. Antony wanted to give the couple some alone time after the near-death experience and learning about Emma's pregnancy. Amelia, on the other hand, wanted to leave not wanting to see their affection any longer.

Antony promised to return with a carriage to pick them up. He left the pistol and a horse behind just in case of any emergency. That left Antony and Amelia with a single horse to return.

"As I said, I am not riding with you."

"Fine, as you wish. You could walk all the way back," replied Antony, without a care for her tantrum.

"Or you could be a gentleman, offer me your horse, and run along."

"Amelia, let's establish that I am no gentleman. And in the future, if you want a favour, you say please."

Antony was gentleman enough to walk beside her, but not foolish enough to offer her the horse. He was quite sure that Amelia needed to be taught some manners.

"Why are you being spiteful towards Emma?"

"That is none of your concern."

"Does this make you happy? Being spiteful and lashing out all the time?"

"Yes, immensely."

"Does acting ungentlemanly to me make you happy?" she countered.

"Yes, immensely. I am no saint and you don't deserve my kindness."

They were silent for some time.

"How did you find us?" asked Amelia suddenly.

"I was in the area looking for land to purchase. I met Lord Advent unexpectedly."

"I don't know why you lie. Purchasing land, indeed! And why in the blazes would you be carrying a military grade gun? Like a mere land agent could afford to buy one. Don't take me to be an imbecile."

"Fine, I don't want to tell you. What makes you think that I will tell you the truth just because you asked?"

"I feel sorry for the woman you are going to marry," said Amelia.

Antony chuckled, "You don't have to. I am a perfect honest to Lady Matilda. But in fact..." he stopped.

"In fact, what? Are you going to retort and say that you feel sorry for the man unfortunate enough to marry me?"

"No, I don't feel sorry for the man you will marry one day."

"Why not?" asked Amelia in surprise.

"I feel sorry for you even more."

Amelia glared at Antony before increasing her pace. Nothing had disturbed her more than that last statement. She didn't want anyone to feel sorry for her.