Chapter 12: Revenge

Antony continued to keep tabs on Robert Advent. Robert had recently tried to make a move on Emma during a ball. When the incident came to her husband Nicholas Advent's knowledge, he stripped Robert of all his power and made sure he never set foot in London again. Antony's gut instinct said that Robert was dangerous and will definitely take revenge on Nicholas and his family. But he was unsure how he could pose any serious threat without entering the country.

"Antony, are you listening to me?" asked Marcus, looking annoyed.

"Sorry, what were you saying?"

"I am going to be a father!" he said, his look of annoyance replaced with pure joy.

"Oh my God, Marcus! Congratulations!"

Both the friends hugged each other. Marcus seemed dazed by his own happiness.

"We will be hosting a ball to celebrate, only close friends and family. I would be honoured if Matilda would also attend."

"We would both be of attendance."

"I still can't believe you both agreed to stay engaged for six months. I thought you would get married before me"

"I didn't court her properly. We both agreed to get to know each other better before we married."

"Have you at least kissed her yet?"

"Marcus! I don't want to discuss-"

"Oh! So you haven't. It's ok to kiss your fiancé."

Antony turned red and changed the subject. It was true that he hasn't kissed Matilda yet. He had great respect for her. She understood him and respected him. But there was nothing to stop him from ravishing her in his dreams. He smiled to himself thinking his time will come soon.

Antony noticed Mr. Cavender walking towards him. He held his hand above his head with his index and middle finger folded indicating the highest level of threat, but his unfolded little finger indicated the threat was not here but elsewhere.

Antony immediately made excuses to Marcus and met Mr. Cavender.

"Your suspicions about Robert Advent are true, he is not trying to leave the country. He is planning to have Lady Emma kidnapped and murdered. The General has been informed and he wants to protect the Duchess from any danger at all costs."

"Damn!" Antony exclaimed.

"What happened?"

"Lady Emma is not in London. She left for Stevenage weeks back."

"What shall we do now?"

"I will handle this one, you inform the General that eagle is flying with sea gale."

Mr. Cavender nodded and left. He can't rescue Emma alone, so Antony planned to inform Lord Nicholas Advent.

Lord Nicholas did not trust Antony at first, thinking that the Land agent was trying to trick him. Antony had to use secret code words to inform Nicholas he was dealing with a Major General of the British Intelligence service, not a mere land agent.

Lord Nicholas and Antony left for Stevenage with Lord Advent's assistant Mr. Rame. They didn't want to draw too much attention, so they skipped taking the guards with them.

The journey to Stevenage felt like eternity to Nicholas. They didn't stop, and covered the three-hour journey in mere forty-five minutes.

Antony's training kicked in, he was most composed and planned for all eventualities ahead.

"What is the current status?" Antony asked his man stationed to watch Robert Advent.

He hesitated, seeing Lord Nicholas.

"You can talk," ordered Antony.

"Major, they have taken two women in their custody. They arrived in an open chariot no more than twenty minutes ago."

"Two?"

"The Duchess and her daughter."

Lord Nicholas looked livid as he reached for his pistol, "I will kill those bastards."

The same minute they heard a gunshot. Nicholas froze, but Antony didn't lose his head in a crisis.

He turned to Lord Advent's assistant, "Mr. Rame, fetch the local authorities immediately. We might need backup."

Turning to his man he ordered, "Fetch the local doctor and wait for us at Lord Advent's house."

Lord Nicholas ran into the cottage where the women were held as hostages. Antony followed, he saw Robert pointing his gun at Lord Nicholas while his minion held a knife to Amelia's throat.

Without hesitation, Antony shot Robert. He dropped the gun and howled in pain, clutching his bleeding hand.

"I will take care of the situation, you find Emma," Antony shouted to Lord Nicholas as they heard Emma screaming for help.

"Drop your gun or I will run her through my knife," said Robert's minion, pressing the knife closer, drawing blood from Amelia's neck.

"No," Antony shouted and bent down. He pulled the trigger midway aiming for his leg, but Robert gaining his wits pushed both Amelia and his minion out of the way. In the chaos, Antony jumped and pulled Amelia to his side.

Robert and the minion took off in a run.

"Are you hurt?" Antony asked Amelia, he lifted her head and checked the injury on her neck.

"Damn!" he muttered and pulled a kerchief from his pocket. "The cut is not deep, it just missed your vein by inches," saying he held the kerchief tight in an attempt to stop the bleeding.

"I can do it," said Amelia as she took the cloth and pushed him away.

Antony nodded, he ran towards the exit; he could still catch up with Robert Advent.

"Mr. Bennet," Amelia called.

Antony stopped and turned to see her say, "Thanks for saving me."

Antony nodded and rushed out, but the cowards escaped.