Chapter 39: Courting

"What did you say?" Marcus roared with laughter at his friend, "I thought I have seen the end of it when you said you were going to court your wife, but now you have agreed to become her slave?"

Few days ago:

Antony woke up to find himself once again hugging Amelia protectively. He did not remember moving in his sleep. He liked waking up with Amelia in his arms, but he thought that was because of how they went to sleep. But, yesterday they slept widely apart. He slowly got up without disturbing Amelia. He was frustrated and flushed.

"I will be back soon," he kissed the sleeping form of Amelia before sneaking out of the window.

He had no idea why he kept spouting nonsense last night.

"Marcus, I have no idea what I am doing," Antony confessed as he sat slumped in the garden chair.

"As I said before, just apologise."

"You don't know what I did!"

"I heard."

"And you still think an apology would be enough?"

"No, it's a start."

"I must have gone insane when I watched her fall into the water. It was like I was transported to the nights of torture. My mind went blank and my body reacted on its own. I should have gone after my wife, but I was too busy helping Matilda and protecting her baby bump. It all sounds like an excuse now. Amelia doesn't deserve this."

"Antony, you were the one who told me I loved Frances even before I realised it. Don't you know your feelings?"

"How can I tell her that I love her? It would sound hollow, now. My actions spoke volumes than my words ever will. I never wanted to marry anyone. I am damaged and disfigured, I deserve no one. But Amelia- She is clever and witty. How could any man who knows her not fall for her? I thought I had fallen in love with her. Every time I see her, I completely lose my sanity. My body and heart crave her with an intensity I have never felt before. But one mishap at the pool proved I have never gotten over Tily and made me doubt my own feelings for Amelia. But I don't want to lose her. I know it's selfish but I can't. I told her I needed her."

"You told her you needed her!? Good heavens! Why do you dig your own grave?"

"And I told I couldn't forget Matilda-"

"Well, you prepared an epitaph, too."

"Shit! What have I done! I must have gone completely insane!"

"Antony, you never lose your composure for anything, why are you doing foolish things now? Go to her, try not to dig yourself into a hole."

"Thanks for agreeing to meet me," Marcus said to Amelia.

"Don't beat around the bush, nothing you say will change a thing."

"But, courting one's own wife will?"

"I didn't suggest it, he was hell-bent on courting me properly."

"He is getting good at digging himself up," Marcus muttered under his breath.

"I was prepared to leave home with him when he said he would court me and properly love me."

"Can't you cut him some slack!?"

"Why should I? At least, be happy that I stopped him from planning another wedding."

"He must have gone completely insane. Amelia, can't you see he loves you? He never loses his head, but he is going through the mills now all for you."

"I didn't ask him to do any of this, if he loves me shouldn't he be the one to tell me that and not you?"