Chapter 32: Scar

"Are you really my sister? Or did some evil witch replace her with someone else?" teased Amanda.

"Stop teasing her," chimed Amy.

"I never thought a day would come when you wore an already worn dress. Where is the Amelia who insisted on a new dress for every event?"

"Then I was the daughter of a duke, now I am the wife of a humble man."

They were interrupted by Jeffris, the butler, announcing the arrival of the modiste.

"But, I didn't order anything."

"Madam Thérèse!" said Amanda in surprise.

Madam Thérèse was one of the top modistes in London. She never paid house calls except for the Queen. People waited for more than six months to get her appointment.

"Good morning," greeted Madam Thérèse, she was followed by two assistants carrying several boxes. Amelia didn't respond and was still stuck in surprise.

"Mr. Bennet sent me here to fit you, Lady Bennet."

The assistants were efficient and quick. Amelia selected a light blue dress, soon it was fitted and trailed.

"Wife of a humble man, indeed!" teased Amanda.

In the evening, Antony came in a sleek new carriage to escort Amelia to the Brentwood castle.

"I have bought this carriage, you now don't have to walk, please! I am also looking for a maid for you. I am sorry for having been so inconsiderate."

"Antony, I don't need a maid now. Where do you propose we host her? In the drawing-room? Or do you plan to make me share the bedroom with her?"

"I am sorry, I am looking for a bigger residence. I am looking at other properties to buy as well as you didn't like the cottage."

"I liked the cottage."

"You did! Then, I will buy it immediately."

Amelia was happy after Antony's apology. It was a lie when she said she had not forgiven, she was glad they were talking.

Lord Marcus insisted that Antony and Amelia stayed as it was well past midnight.

"It is already very late, why don't you both stay the night. You should stay in the Small wing," Marcus said, giving Antony a sly smile.

"We didn't bring a change of clothes. We should really return," insisted Antony.

"That should be easy to solve. There are a few new nightgowns, Amelia can choose anything she likes."

"What are you doing?" Antony hissed at Marcus.

"Just helping my friend. Well, I am tired and should retire. Good luck, Antony."

Antony rolled his eyes before following a footman who guided them to the Small wing of the Brentwood castle. Amelia left with a maid to choose her nightgown.

Antony sighed heavily after dismissing the footman. He removed his shirt to change into the night clothes. A sudden gasp made him freeze.

"Antony! What is that?" Amelia's voice broke as she stared at him.

Antony hurriedly put on his shirt before turning to look at her.

"Sorry you had to see that."

"Why should you be sorry? Who did this to you?" Amelia asked furiously.

"It is the past, let's leave it to that."

"Leave it to that! Antony, where you whipped?"

Antony sighed heavily before nodding.

"Who did this, tell me that the bastard who did this is rotting in hell." Amelia's anger stayed on her face while her eyes became wet involuntarily.

"Amelia, please don't cry. Please-" Antony wiped her tears.

"How can anyone do this to you!" she clearly wasn't out of the shock.

Amelia couldn't stop the tears. Antony's back looked like someone had ploughed it roughly, there were numerous burnt marks on his chest. She knew Antony had a few scars on his face, but they were light and just gave him s rugged look, but this! Amelia's insides felt unbearably heavy at the thought of the physical torture he must have endured to have such scars.

Amelia composed herself before asking, "I never asked you what happened to you when you went missing. Is this why you are having nightmares?"

"It is not a pleasant tale."

"Antony, I wish to share your burden now. Please allow me."

Antony looked at her for a long time. She knew he was caging his reaction. She didn't know what he saw, but he replied in a flat tone.

"I underestimated Sterling. He found it was me who stole his documents the night you saved me. He escaped imprisonment but lost all his standings. He bought time to plot my fall. The night before my wedding, I was kidnapped and shipped to Spain as a war prisoner. I remained in prison for four years before being sold as a slave to a barn. I befriended the barn manager, who helped me make contact with Hugo Long. He rescued me."

"Hugo Long!"

"Yes, Tily's husband."

"You don't have to tone down the tortures you went through. How-"

"Amelia, being a war prisoner and slave is not exactly a vacation. I was tortured to the brink of insanity several times."

"I am sorry, Antony. I should have treated you better. I did nothing to help you when you suffered alone."

"You don't have to pity."

"Pity!? I don't pity you. I see you in a whole new light. I knew you were brave, but I didn't know your gallantry to withstand such tortures and your commitment to our country. The physical and mental pain you must have endured to not betray the country at any cost! I just feel guilty for berating you all this time."

"Did you? All this time?" Antony asked in amusement.

"Yes, I was rather angry that you died. But I am still angry, how can you let your guard down even for a second. Now everyone knows, thanks to the Victorian cross award," Amelia said crossly. "You better watch your step, you still may have many powerful enemies. I would hate to part from you."

"You would hate to part from me? A disfigured man!"

"A disfigured man? You have your arms, legs and most importantly your eyes intact. What else would you need? And I don't have any money as you took my dowry. I don't want to live off my father again."

"Your optimism and your level of expectations never fail to amuse me."

"Was that an insult?"

"I will sleep in the study," Antony said as he picked a pillow.

"This is not our house, do you want the servants to gossip about me. This bed is large enough for the both of us."

"I am touched by your concern."

"Shut up before I change my mind and make you sleep on the floor"

"I am sorry, Antony. I should have treated you better. I did nothing to help you when you suffered alone," Antony said in a shrill voice imitating her.

"Oh! Shut up!"

Antony laid down to sleep, feeling much lighter. He expected her to scream and run away from him. Not only did she not think he was disfigured, she thought he was brave.