Chapter 8: Proposal

Antony couldn't concentrate. He informed that he was out of action for the rest of the night. Marcus got drunk heavily and was crying out loud. Antony took Marcus to his chamber and slowly made his way to the tulip gardens. The beautiful tulips swaying to the gentle breeze under the moonlight may be enough to cheer anyone but not Antony, not that night.

That's when he saw her. She was sitting very still, lost in her thoughts. Antony stood there and stared at her. Matilda slowly bought her hands up and wiped her tears away angrily.

Without knowing, his feet carried him to her. She glared at him when she noticed his arrival. Her eyes were red from all the unshed tears.

"Come to have a good gloat," she said vehemently.

Antony remained silent with his eyes fixed on her.

"You must be happy for making me spend so much. God! I don't know what I was thinking! I wanted you to notice me! Seeing you look at that carving... I wanted to buy-" her voice broke, she wiped her tears away angrily and continued.

"-buy it for you. But you have only been playing with my feelings! It feels like crap to have been defeated by a stupid girl like her and the man I thought-" she broke off again. "I learned my lesson."

She stood up and marched off. Without pausing to think Antony rushed to hold her hand.

"Let go of me," she shouted.

Antony clung on with tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Let go of me! I know how to defend myself. Let go!" she repeated.

"Tily!" Antony murmured, making her stop moving.

"What are you doing?"

"Marry me," Antony uttered, making her freeze.

"Tily, marry me and be my wife," Antony repeated.

She wriggled free and turned to look at him.

"You ignored me for five years and suddenly you want to marry me?" she looked puzzled and angry.

"I was a coward, I am sorry I wasted so much time."

"Why now? Why do you want to marry me now? Did Frances reject you for your friend!?"

"Frances!" asked Antony in confusion, "She is Marcus' fiancé. It has always been you. I can't bear to see you get angry at me. Tily trust me, I have never felt like this with anyone else but you."

"What do you feel?" she murmured.

Antony understood he was doing things in the wrong order, he must have begun with confessing his love before asking for her hand.

"Tily, I love you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

He got down to one knee and took both her hands, "Tily, I don't have a ring now. I don't have any riches to offer. I can't even offer you my heart-"

"That could be the most convincing proposal ever," she interrupted.

Antony smiled tearily and continued, "I can't even offer you my heart, since it already belongs to you. So I offer the only thing I have left, me and my name. Will you accept me as your husband?"

Tily tried her best to keep a straight face but the small smile was forcing its way out. She scrutinised him for a long time before nodding. Antony, ever the gentleman, kissed her hands and stood up beaming.

"Thanks," he mumbled, brushing the happy tears running down his face.