Chapter 29: Ungrateful

Amelia kept her eyes closed expecting Antony to make the move and claim her, but what she expected never came to pass.

Antony cleared his throat loudly. Amelia immediately stood up and moved away from Antony. She felt snubbed.

"Amelia,"

"What!" she snapped, irritated.

Amelia was never a modicum of calm and good grace. She didn't pull him into her arms, which he did. She didn't say he looked cute. She definitely didn't inch closer to him like he wanted to kiss her. Was it some kind of devious joke on his part to make her miserable?

"Your cloak-, get your cloak," Antony seemed to be tripping on his words.

"I am not hungry."

"Don't... just-"

"Good night!" she shouted, angrily made her way to her bedroom, and banged the door shut.

"Arggh!" she grunted angrily, opened the door, and threw Antony's pillow and blanket out before banging the door again. She heard Antony giving an amused chuckle.

"How dare you! How dare you leave me alone and head out for dinner all by yourself. Selfish! Ungrateful! Self-centred!"

It was almost an hour since Antony left without Amelia. She was busy insulting Antony.

"Ungrateful! Selfish! Insufferable! Repressed!" Insults continued as Amelia punched her pillow assuming it to be Antony's face.

"Just because you are handsome doesn't mean you can get away with treating me like that! Argh! I hate you, Antony. I hope you choke on your dinner."

"So, you think I am handsome?"

Amelia gasped and turned to find Antony standing at the door, looking thoroughly amused.

"I also think you are selfish and ungrateful."

"I heard that."

"I didn't hear you come," Amelia blurted.

"Yes, must have been muffled by your voice. You seemed pretty passionate with the pillow."

Amelia scowled, earning another chuckle from Antony.

"I have bought us dinner as I want to express my gratitude for your hard work today."

She scowled, unsure where the insult was hidden.

"It is not an insult, Amelia," he said, reading her correctly.

"As I said earlier, I am not hungry."

"Isn't that why you were angry with me before? Come now I don't want to be called self-centred."

"I am not hungry," she said through gritted teeth.

"You can either come yourself or-"

"Or what? I am not coming!"

"Or I could carry you to the dining table."

Before Amelia could respond, Antony threw her over his shoulder and walked to the dining table as though she weighed no more than a doll.

"Put me down you beast!" she roared.

"beast, you say" He sat and held her on his lap, with his hand firmly on her waist.

"Unhand me!" she screamed.

Antony casually reached for a package to reveal fried fish and peas.

"Here, it tastes best when warm," Antony said, holding it near her nose. The aroma was so tantalising; Amelia's mouth began to water just looking at it.

"I am not hungry," she said, folding her hands resolutely but ruining the effect as her stomach gave a huge rumble.

"You can either eat it by yourself or-"

Amelia took the fish immediately, his eyes held a hot threat that made her insides twist. When she tried to stand, he held her tightly, preventing her escape. She felt nervous and giddy sitting on his lap. Her wit and reasoning flew out of the window.

"Eat," he commanded.

She slowly nibbled the fish in her hand. Once she finished it Antony handed her a muffin. She would have enjoyed its taste if she was not a nervous wreck.

That night she could hardly sleep. God! She hated Antony now more than ever. If he liked her, why didn't he kiss her? If he didn't like her, why did he hold her on his lap like that?

Her room felt small and hot, which was ridiculous as it was February and freezing outside. What she wanted was some fresh air, a stroll in the terrace garden seemed a good idea. She tiptoed and opened the lock slowly, being careful not to make a sound. She breathed the cold air deeply, feeling calmer and at ease.

"Amelia!!" she could hear Antony shout.

"Antony!?" she called back.

She heard him thundering up. "What happened!?" she asked, he had the same dead look in his eyes when he had the nightmare. He rushed to her and pulled her into a tight bear hug.

"Woke up- you gone-" he said brokenly panting and nuzzled against her neck.

"Shh!" she tried to reassure him, gently rubbing his back.

They stood there for a long time. She could feel his heart thundering in his ribs; once he calmed he pulled away.

"Don't disappear on me like that," he scolded. Now it was Amelia's heart that thundered.

"I was just taking a stroll, you are simply overreacting."

"Overreacting? It's 2 in the morning!" he shouted

"The room was overheated and stifling-" she shouted back

"Are you out of your bloody mind! It's February!"

"Don't give me that attitude, I bloody well do what I want."

"I am your husband therefore it's my authority-"

"I don't give a damn about your so-called authority."

"Do not curse!"

"You started it!"

"Go to your room before you freeze to death."

"Don't tell me what to do mister! Don't you dare!"

"Fine, freeze to death or better catch pneumonia or lung fever for all that I care," he turned and left her.

"I hate you," she shouted after him.

"Tell me something I don't know already," he muttered, before disappearing.