Chapter 27: Surprise

Amelia woke up to find her usual seasoned milk waiting for her. In the morning light, the house looked even worse.

The maid was clearing the mayhem she had created in the living room. Amelia, without a word, started helping her.

"It's alright Ma'am, I will clean it," the maid protested.

"It's no trouble. I always wanted to thank you for making me the seasoned milk."

"Seasoned milk, Ma'am?" she asked questioningly.

"The milk you prepare every morning?"

"I..." the maid stammered, "I.. don't Ma'am. Master prepares it everyday."

Amelia was surprised. She felt even more ashamed for ruining Antony's plants.

She spent most of the afternoon cleaning and repotting Antony's plants.

"Lady Amelia," greeted Rame, her father's assistant.

"What are you doing here, Mr. Rame?"

"Lord Nicholas sent me to check on the Lady and accompany her to Advent's castle if the Lady wishes. His Grace apologises for not being able to come personally as Lady Emma is going through labour."

"It's a girl," Amanda announced happily once Amelia reached. Lord Nicholas was holding the swaddled baby.

"Hello, sister," Amelia greeted the baby girl.

"How are you?" asked Nicholas, apprehensively.

"I am fine, dad. How is Emma?" Amelia asked. Nicholas smiled broadly on hearing the endearment Amelia never used.

"She is fine."

And, just like that, everything was fine. Amelia was busy with Junior when Antony joined them.

"Amicoos, stay the night with me," Junior pleaded. Amelia relented.

"The couch is too small for you, you should sleep on the other side," Amelia said to Antony as he made his way to the small couch in her room.

"It's alright, I can manage," Antony protested

"I am already sharing," said Amelia, pointing to the other side that had Junior.

Amelia was woken awake by a gentle tap, she bolted upright on hearing a pained moan.

"Nicho! Are you alright?" Amelia asked fussing over the young boy.

"It's Antony, I think, he is having a nightmare," Nicho explained.

"What are you doing?" Junior waved Amelia's hands away as she tried to wake Antony.

"I am trying to wake him!"

"You shouldn't do that," said Junior, turning to Antony and gently patting his shoulders. "There... there... Everything is fine. I am with you."

Amelia watched in amazement as the little one consoled the distressed form of Antony.

"Now you try, that's what mama does when I have nightmares," whispered Junior.

Amelia patted Antony awkwardly and said "There.. there.. I am here.. Everything-"

"Not like that, move a bit closer. You have to make him feel safe."

"There... There..."

Junior took her hands and wrapped them around Antony's shoulders. "I am here-"

"What are you doing?" Antony asked groggily, looking at Amelia. She flushed red with embarrassment getting caught hugging him.

"Bad dreams? If you think of happy things before you sleep you will not get bad dreams. Amicoos, why don't you sing?" Junior said and moved to the other side.

Antony obediently closed his eyes. Amelia slowly tried to remove her hands from Antony's shoulder, but he held on to her arms, not letting go.

"Go on," Junior prompted.

Amelia's brain went blank, did Antony just!

"Amicoos-" Junior whined.

She sang a lullaby, both Antony and Junior soon fell asleep, but Amelia's heart was thundering in her chest as though she had run a mile. Was it her imagination or was Antony sleeping with a smile!