Chapter 10: Tantrums

Lady Evans wrote to Emma requesting Amelia's attendance at the musical and the ball that followed. Emma was getting frantic and wanted everything to be perfect for Amelia's first public appearance before her debut.

Amelia first thought wasn't to make things difficult for Emma. Lily Evans was performing for the first time and Amelia wouldn't miss it for the world.

But when Emma received the letter, she went to ask permission from her father Nicholas Advent. Amelia waited outside the study for Emma to return for half an hour before her patience ran out.

What could they possibly be discussing for so long? Was her father determined to make her miserable by denying the one thing she wanted? The questions paraded as Amelia's anger took over.

"Lady Amelia," said Mr. Rame, Lord Advent's assistant, stopping her from going near the study.

"What are you doing away from your desk not working?" Amelia shot back.

Mr. Rame didn't respond, but a faint blush appeared near his ears. She tried to sidestep but he blocked her way.

"Move aside, Mr. Rame. I want to meet my father."

"I am sorry Lady Amelia, His Grace is busy at the moment," he tried to sound as polite as possible.

Before Amelia could brush him aside, she heard her father grunt, "I can't get enough of you, Emma," followed by Emma moaning, "Oh Nicholas! I love you."

Amelia couldn't breathe as the world came crashing down in her head. She turned and ran to her room as fast as her legs could take her. Rage and disgust boiled inside. She tried to stop the tears from drowning her face but everything seemed out of control.

Her father was making love with a woman in his study- the very same place where her mother begged him holding his legs asking him to understand her love. Life has now made her live under the roof of the man who rejected her mother and ordered her never to speak to him again. The man who lived like his first wife never existed.

The next day, Amelia resolved to make the shopping experience a nightmare for Emma. She threw temper tantrums, pricked Emma with needles during the fitting, called her names, and put on her most irate version. But Emma never once got angry, which infuriated her even more. Emma just continued acting like it didn't bother her. "Doesn't she even have an ounce of shame?" Amelia wondered.

Amelia made sure they abandoned shopping and returned home. Emma slumped against the couch in the living room and ringed for tea. On seeing her father walk in, Amelia left them and went to rest in an adjacent room. Not far, since she half-heartedly wished to hear them talking.

"Are you alright, dear?" asked Nicholas. "Dear!" scoffed Amelia.

"Yes."

"Tell me what's bothering you."

"Nothing is bothering me."

"Emma, you are never a good liar."

"I am just tired, nothing more."

"What did Amelia do now?"

"Nicholas! Lady Amelia didn't do anything. We just weren't able to find suitable cloth. Thought we would try our luck tomorrow."

"So you decided to come back early?" asked Nicholas shrewdly.

Emma sat silently, Lord Nicholas continued "I don't know why you cover up for her, Emma. Do you know how embarrassing it was to hear Mr. Cassandra describe her as an ungrateful wretch!"

"He did not! How could you let him?"

"No, I didn't. I told him to shut up if he wanted to keep his tongue intact."

"I never liked him, horrible man! How could he?"

"But I couldn't stop him when he said about the tantrum she threw the other day."

Emma just looked sadly, Amelia's tantrum was unfortunately witnessed by London's greatest gossipmongers Mrs. Cassandra.

"I have no idea what to do with her anymore. She is of marriageable age, but I can't see her becoming a responsible wife or a mother."

"Nicholas! Please stop saying such things. We have to help her."

"Nothing I say or did have brought any difference."

"She may act like that to us, but she is sweet and caring to Amanda and Amy. I am sure when she finds the perfect man, she will care for him equally. You promised you would be patient with her."

Nicholas let out a deep sigh and said, "I am a lucky bastard to have married you. Have I told you how much I love you?"

"No, you didn't."

"Let me show you."

"Nicholas! Someone might walk in," Emma complained followed by Nicholas chuckling.