Chapter 19: Ghost

Amelia's screams and hyperventilation made the approaching figure stop. In an effort to retreat she fell from the bench she was seated on. She wanted to get up and run for her life but her eyes were transfixed with what was standing in front of her.

Breaking the stare, she screamed "Go away" and threw the kerchief. She found the direction of the castle and ran picking up speed. Something pricked her leg, ignoring the pain she ran. She stumbled off someone and fell. It was Marcus.

"Marcus!" she sighed in relief.

"What happened?" Marcus asked, picking her up.

"I- I think- nothing," she fought to breathe. She couldn't bring herself to tell Marcus. Her hands shook and her heart thundered. She was not sure of what she saw, was she losing her mind and seeing things.

Marcus helped her to a garden bench and held out his hip flask. She took it and drank deeply, she didn't care if it was whiskey or brandy. Anything to soothe her dry throat.

"It's water!" Amelia said in surprise.

"Yes, it is. What were you expecting?"

"You carry around water in a hip flask? All this time I thought..."

He displayed a roguish grin, "I need to keep my reputation as a rake, you know."

Amelia's breathing pacified. She chuckled.

Marcus was devoted to his wife Frances, everyone knew that. "No one would believe you are a rake anymore, you are a tamed lion."

"Hey!" he protested, "Well, will you tell me what happened? Why were you running?"

"Nothing happened," she avoided Marcus' eye as she said that.

"Amelia, is someone threatening you? I can help, no one will know."

"Thanks, but nothing like that. I just saw something unreasonable."

Marcus didn't look convinced, "Just spill it, Amelia. You shrieked like you saw some ghost!"

Amelia shook her head, she did see a ghost. She turned away.

There she saw him, again. This time she swallowed her scream. Blood drained out of Amelia's face as she quickly got up and hid behind Marcus. Marcus looked where Amelia was watching and looked at her in confusion.

The realisation hit her. Marcus couldn't see him or it or whatever it was. Was it going to haunt her forever! She didn't run this time, how could you outrun a ghost.

"Antony," greeted Marcus, he winced as Amelia's nails dug into his arms.

"You see it too?" she asked shakily.

"See what?"

"The ghost!"

Marcus looked at her like she completely lost her mind.

"The ghost! Antony's ghost!" she explained.

Marcus took a minute looking puzzled before bursting out laughing.

"Stop laughing Marcus, don't play with me! Do you see it or not?"

"That's not a ghost, that is Antony."

"He's- Dead!"

"Is that why you screamed when you saw me?" asked Antony, who came forward to join them. He had a broad smile.

"You are not a ghost? Everybody can see you!? You didn't die?"

He held out his hands, she shakily touched them. He was solid. She clutched her heart in relief. She was still shaking.

Antony smiled as he said, "Don't worry, you are just as sane as me."

"Here," Marcus offered his hip flask again.

It was all too much for her. "How-" she was trying to calm her racing mind and find words to continue.

"I was captured and sold as a slave," he said; a dark look crossed his features.

Amelia wasn't going to press for more information.

"How many have you scared like this so far?"

"Just you!"

"Just me?"

Amelia looked shocked and irate. Antony cracked up, "It's usually all tears and hugs, no one screamed and asked me to go away so far."

"Don't expect for a minute I am going to hug you. If anything I want to punch you."

"What! I hardly think I deserve a punch."

"How could you die on me like that? Didn't I tell you not to get into a fight if you can't win? After everything I went through to save you!" she shouted angrily.

"I didn't lose, I am still alive," he corrected her in amusement.

"Hmph," she pursed her lips and turned her head, nose in the air.

Antony laughed, "Sorry, I should have listened to you. Forgive me, I won't get into any fights hereafter; not unless you are around wearing a hoop."

Amelia didn't respond, still kept her head turned away from him.

"Here, you dropped it," he handed her the kerchief. "Were you planning to ward off the ghost with a kerchief?"

Amelia was annoyed to see Antony smirking.

"It was yours, you gave it to me years back, remember?"

He remembered. Before he could pocket the kerchief, Amelia wrenched it away saying, "I want it back, it was yours but it's mine now."

"I must leave now," Amelia said and stood up. They had spent more than an hour talking, mostly laughing at her expense.

"I will walk you back, you still look shaken," Marcus offered.

Once they were out of Antony's earshot, Marcus said, "Thanks, this is the first time he has smiled after his return."

"I was not trying to be funny."

"No Amelia, you were yourself. You didn't pity him. He needed it, he needed someone who didn't pity him."

That night Amelia didn't burn with the same longing when Mr. Walker proposed to Amanda after dinner. She felt a little sad for herself, but the happiness she felt for Amanda overshadowed it all.