Chapter 35: Regrets

"Good... Good evening," Antony said, looking at Amelia as though she was a bomb ready to explode.

"No need to look so gloomy. I worked it all out of my system."

She had gone riding in the morning and swam all afternoon. She was exhausted enough to drop asleep.

"You said they will stay for a couple of days. The first day, it's on you to entertain them. Show them around the house, garden, and pond. I will invite Amanda and Amy to stay with us too, I am sure they will keep your mother company. I promise to be on my best behaviour."

"You- Sure?"

"What do you want me to do, Antony? I am doing the best I can, don't expect anything more."

"You mentioned only Amy and Amanda, why is your whole family here?" Antony whispered to Amelia as they welcomed Lord Nicholas and Emma, who brought their four kids along with Amanda and Amy.

"Don't ask me, I have no idea either!"

"What are you two whispering?" asked Amanda.

"Nothing, Antony was wondering why you all are here?" Amelia asked. Antony glared at her, but she ignored him.

"Well, we thought the more the merrier. And, as papa is here, you might limit the fighting to him," said Amanda flatly.

Amelia let out a long exasperated breath.

"Oh my god, Amelia! I can't believe you didn't rise to that bait."

Soon Mrs. Alice arrived with the Longs. Amelia excused herself most of the time and went to play with Junior. She was teaching him to climb a tree when she heard Antony and his mother.

"Are you still disappointed in me?" Mrs. Alice asked sadly.

"No, I understand. Six years is a long time, you have adapted to living without me."

"I am sorry, Antony, I think of Tily as my daughter. I can't abandon her now, she needs me."

"I understand, you don't have to feel guilty."

"She was devastated when... I wanted her to have a life. Hugo is a good man-"

"Mother, I know. What happened in the past will be in the past. Let's not talk about it anymore," Antony cut off his mother.

"How is married life?"

Antony chuckled, "It's interesting."

"I am happy to see you smile like this. I know she must also be disappointed, I just hope I could patch things up with her in the future."

"If you agree to come alone next time, I am sure you will get along with her."

"I have more things to apologise, you must feel uncomfortable having Tily here. I-"

"Mother, I don't regret what might have or might not have happened. I am happy. Trust me, Amelia is what I want in life, she fills the void in me. I don't feel uncomfortable around Tily or Hugo. I am happy for them, happy that you helped her get over me. As for Amelia, I am the reason she resents Tily. I don't blame her, either. You don't have to feel guilty, I just hope you would spend some time with my wife and get to know her."

Amelia would have tap-danced if she was not perched in a tree. She couldn't stop grinning. It was not the confession of undying love, but she could live with that.

"You can hug me tonight," Amelia said when Antony climbed into the bed.

The words were barely out, she found herself being pulled into his arms.

"I said hug, stop rubbing your face on my back," she said irritability.