Chapter 6: Vacation

With Robert Advent's minions on his back, Antony finally was able to afford the vacation that he has long been dreaming of. But his mind stayed preoccupied with Matilda. The look of extreme disappointment that she gave him was not easy to forget. Being helped by a no-one like him must have triggered her, thought Antony.

"Marcus, what are you doing?" Antony groaned, as his friend stood there with a broad smile.

"Waking you up."

"It's seven in the morning!"

"So?"

"It's midnight to you, since when did you start waking before 11?"

"Early bird catches the worm."

"Which worm? Are you referring to women as worms now? I am not interested-"

"Shut up and get ready," Marcus forced Antony out of his bed and into the bathroom. Antony resisted like a stubborn child refusing to go to school. After several minutes, he finally gave in realising he was too awake to return to bed.

Antony came out of the bathroom fully dressed, meanwhile Marcus packed Antony's bags.

"Don't tell me you are making me attend a house party like the last time. It was torture." Some Duke spawn held a week-long bachelor party that involved whiskey and women. Antony hated every moment of it.

"However, you still came. Well, no, it is not. It's a week-long wedding party!"

At this Antony looked amused, "A wedding? And who, pray tell, is getting married?"

"It's Hugo Allen. You don't know him."

"And you do?" asked Antony mockingly. "Don't think you fool me for a moment, which lady will be added to your mistresses list when we get back?"

Marcus gave a fake look of outrage and didn't answer.

"Which part of England are we travelling to?" asked Antony.

"Nottingham," replied Marcus.

Antony was not surprised as Frances joined them on their way to the wedding. Marcus has never before persuaded a woman like this. Frances was innocent and seemed thoroughly smitten by Marcus.

Antony's patience weaned as Marcus openly flirted with her the whole time.

"What the hell are you doing?" snapped Antony.

"What else, going to lunch!" said Marcus offhandedly.

"I mean with Miss. Hill, this is going too far even for you," growled Antony.

Marcus didn't say anything.

"Miss. Hill is not like the other women you dally with, she-"

"What makes you think I am dallying with her?" Marcus interrupted.

"Don't think I believe you for a moment that you intend to marry her," said Antony.

"This is interesting. Do you have feelings for Miss. Hill?" asked Marcus.

"I don't and you know that I don't. For the love of God, don't make this about me. Miss. Hill is innocent and she believes everyone to be so, don't do this to her and show this is a cruel world," growled Antony.

Marcus paid no heed. The following week, Antony spent every waking moment watching Marcus and preventing him from doing anything stupid. But he stopped nagging when Marcus defended Frances. His friend seemed to have changed. Maybe Frances was the one who would finally make Marcus a gentleman, Antony thought.

Upon return to London, Antony noticed multiple summonses from the General.

"General," he greeted.

The old man scowled and said, "I hope you had a satisfying vacation."

"Indeed, I did. Thanks to you and Mr. Robert Advent."

The General scowled deeper, "If you are done with your holidays, I have an important assignment for you."

Antony nodded indicating he was listening.

"A charity auction is scheduled to be held in Brent Castle in a few weeks, but there are some classified documents in the castle which cannot be relocated presently. I need all hands on deck to monitor the site."

"The charity auction to honour Lord Winscent Paulen on his eightieth birthday?"

"Not eighty."

"Then what age?"

"I don't know and I am not telling you even if I know."

"Come on General, just tell me your age."

"No."

"I could ask Marcus, he will know his father's age."

"Go ahead. He doesn't know my real age either."

"Are we even celebrating on your real birth date or is it some made-up day?"

The General smiled and waved him off.