Chapter 22: Hurt

"I will marry you," repeated Antony.

"You will marry me?" Amelia asked, pulling away with a frown. Her body winced with the loss of warmth.

"Yes."

"What makes you think I want to marry you?"

"Nothing. The choice is yours. But my honour demands I do the right thing."

Before Amelia could process the thought of marrying Antony, the door opened with a bang making them both jump. Nicholas Advent walked in followed by his guards, a scowl firmly in place.

Seeing Amelia, he rushed forward and hugged her.

"Are you hurt?" he started fussing.

"What happened?" he demanded, after carefully wrapping her with his jacket and all the while frowning at Antony.

"We got stranded because of the snowstorm."

"Did you know how worried we were? Why did you come out so late, you have not yet fully recovered. What will I do if you get sick again?" Nicholas was angry and worried.

"I am fine."

"We should head back before the guests notice anything amiss. The storm has passed, too."

Emma, along with Amanda and Amy, was waiting for them. Amelia was given a hot bath and some medicine and then tugged to bed. But Amelia couldn't sleep. Antony's proposal kept playing in her mind.

He is the first gentleman to offer her anything closer to a proposal. She had two choices, accept his proposal and be his wife or reject it and continue to be a spinster and live with the ridicule.

The next day the choice was made for her, London's biggest gossipmonger had got wind of yesterday's events.

"I haven't yet decided to marry him," Amelia said.

Nicholas was livid, but Emma kept a cautious hand on his shoulder preventing outbursts.

"Why? Antony is honest and honourable, he will take good care of you," Amanda reasoned.

"He mentioned marriage just once! If he wants to marry me he could try better."

It's been two days since they left Brentwood. No hide nor hair from Antony Bennet. If he was indeed an honourable man as everyone thought, where was he now? Why has he abandoned her for the past two days? The doubts kept drowning Amelia.

"He met me yesterday to ask permission for your hands," said Lord Nicholas.

Jeffris, the butler, announced the arrival of Antony. Amelia gaped in surprise.

"Lord Advent, Lady Emma Advent," Antony greeted.

"I would like to talk to Amelia alone," he said without preamble.

"Let's go for a walk," Amelia said and walked out without waiting for her father's permission.

"You spoke to my father yesterday and not me?" she accused him.

"Yes, as I already said I will marry you. It felt proper to ask your father's permission before seeking your answer."

"Why do you want to marry me?"

"I don't want to marry you or anyone. But your reputation was ruined because of me."

"Fine, I will marry you. God knows I don't want to be branded a fool for rejecting your offer. But know that I don't want to marry you, as well."

"Well then, I will see you later."

"Not so fast, Mister. Since you never wanted to marry I suppose you have little use for my dowry, as well. I want you to hand it over to me."

He chuckled and said, "Nice try, but I am to provide for you for the rest of your life. So I have a rather large use for your dowry, which I might add isn't large enough."

Antony turned and walked away leaving Amelia to fume. She quickened her pace to catch up with him, but the man was fiendishly fast. When she finally reached, the whole family was in the sitting room talking to Antony.

"I missed you terribly these past years, but not as much as Marcus," Emma said.

"I am actually angry with you, Emma," said Antony.

"Why?"

"You had three sons and didn't name even one after me?"

Emma chuckled, "If it's any consolation, I am planning to name my fourth after you."

"Then I am sure it's going to be a girl!"

Amelia stood glaring at Antony. Emma looked back and forth between them confused, but Antony ignored Amelia completely.

"How much dowry are you paying him?" Amelia asked Lord Nicholas.

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"Yes, Mr. Bennet refuses to take any dowry and insists that the money be saved under your name for you to spend as you see fit."

"Why didn't you tell me?" she asked Antony almost apologetically.

"Lord Advent, I have reconsidered your offer. I would like to take the dowry. No need to save it under Amelia's name."

Amelia knew Antony didn't take insults kindly. He made her walk after he rescued her. She knew he would have offered her the horse if she had kept her mouth shut. Just like he already wanted her to have her dowry. So she supposed she couldn't really be angry at him.

Amelia had more callers that day than she has had in her whole life.

"If you hurt Antony in any way, know that I will make your life a living hell," threatened Lady Matilda.

Amelia tried to keep her fury in check, but it was getting harder with every passing minute. She interrupted Lady Matilda.

"Who are you, again? Ah! The ex-fiancé who is married and pregnant. I should have known the black outfit was just a facade."

"How dare you, I don't have to explain my reasons to you."

"How dare you, I don't have any reason to sit and listen to your bullshit. I am going to marry Antony, as his wife it is my prerogative to hurt or do otherwise."

First Marcus, now Lady Matilda. Amelia couldn't understand why everyone assumed she would hurt him like he is a fragile, porcelain doll. Or did they think she was a devil with flaming horns?