Chapter 31: Fault

Antony arranged a carriage for Amelia. The ride home was lonely and depressing. Antony didn't even look at her when he came back home. It was back to how they were when they were newly married; not seeing or speaking to each other.

Antony sighed for the fourth time.

"Has it already started?" asked Marcus, looking sympathetic.

"What are you talking about?" asked Antony in bewilderment.

"Marital spats."

"How did you-"

"I am an expert with women, did you already forget?"

Antony's face crunched with disgust.

"I will give you some advice, just apologise," said Marcus.

"What makes you think I am wrong?"

"Doesn't matter whether you are wrong or not."

"Doesn't matter!? Everything was going well when I showed her the cottage, she was beaming and talking merrily. Then she suddenly started yelling at me and insulted Tily."

"Tell me you didn't lose your patients"

"Hmm... I did"

"Then it is definitely your fault."

"My fault! Weren't you listening to anything I said?"

"For a sharp man, you are remarkably naive when it comes to women. Can't you understand she is jealous?"

"Jealous of what!?"

Marcus gave an exasperated sigh and said in a one-and-one-makes-two tone, "She wants something from you which you didn't give. So she got angry and jealous."

"What does she want? You make no sense."

"This is leading us nowhere, I just have to brazen it out. Antony, If you don't want to apologise just kiss her."

"Wha-"

"Why are you reacting ? You are just going to kiss your wife." Seeing Antony's reaction Marcus added, "Please don't tell me you never! You are more hopeless than I thought you would be. Antony, she is your wife. If you are going to be like this, why did you marry her?"

"Marcus, you know very well why I married her and why I can't. I don't want to bring her into my nightmares."

"Amelia is brave and you know that too. She is not a damsel who would faint for little things. Antony, are you really worried about her or do you fear rejection?"

Antony didn't answer. He was worried about Amelia but he equally feared rejection. They could never start a family together.

Amelia silently watched Antony as he returned home. She felt miserable. She shouldn't have lashed out at him. If she was completely honest with her, which she didn't want to, it was her fault for assuming things. But does he think so little of her, was she not even worth the dirt of that boorish woman's shoe! How could he say that to her face? Did she deceive herself into thinking Antony liked her? Even if it was a lie, she kept repeating that she didn't care, she wouldn't care anymore.

"This arrived today," Amelia said and handed an envelope to Antony.

Marcus's wife Frances invited them to a soiree at the Brentwood castle.

"It's addressed to the both of us," said Antony.

"I am going to the Advent castle."

"What!? How could you say that?"

"What else can I do?"

"So, you are planning to abandon me?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You are going to run to your father's if things don't go your way?"

"Run to my father's! What the hell! Antony, if I want to run, why did I stay for this long? You are the one who makes me stay in a bachelor's lodge, you are the one who doesn't appoint me a ladies' maid. How in the blazes will I get ready for the soiree without help? I know you don't think much of me, but we took the wedding oath and I didn't do it lightly."

"I am sorry."

"Hmph!"

"Amelia, I am sorry for today and that day. I shouldn't have- I didn't mean it."

"I accept your apology, but I can't forgive you."

"I will give you a ride there."

"No, I prefer to walk."