Chapter 20: Drowned

"Your mother is not happy with me," Amelia said to Marcus.

"As a matter of fact, neither with me," he added.

Every important member of the town gathered in Brentwood for Marcus' first daughter Felicia's christening.

"Why? Did you too pour hot cocoa on her?" Amelia had slipped and poured her drink on Lady Martha Paulen.

Marcus laughed, "No, she is unhappy that I didn't properly celebrate Antony's christening."

Marcus' first son was named Antony after his best friend Antony. Marcus was so lost in depression when his friend was declared dead, he refused to celebrate anything, even his son's birth.

Amelia understood Lady Martha's frustration. Felicia wasn't Marcus' daughter by birth, she was adopted. The baby's parents died in an accident, since they were foreigners no one knew who they were. Frances wanted Felicia, and Marcus accepted her as their own.

Frances and Marcus arrived at the church holding the baby for christening. While promises and blessings were made, all her brothers Antony, Eliot, Issac and Oliver swore to protect her. Even Nicholas Jr, William and Neville joined them.

Amelia couldn't help but feel amused thinking of the poor fellow who will court Felicia when she grows up. Imagine having to withstand seven brothers.

Everyone talked and danced with merry inside the castle. Amelia couldn't fit in and decided to wander in the garden. It snowed earlier that morning, the temperature was freezing. She didn't mind for she liked winter better than summer. The sight of everything covered in clear white snow was serene.

She walked to the lake's edge to check if the ice was thick enough to skate.

"Amicoos."

Amelia turned to find Nicholas Jr who has followed her. Before she could stop him from moving any further, he put his leg on the ice. The ice was too thin to hold him and Jr plummeted into the chilling water.

"Nicholas!" shouted Amelia in horror. Without delay, she jumped in. Her whole body burned the moment she hit the water. Her insides froze, but she didn't stop.

She pulled him above the water. Her every ounce of energy went into keeping him above the water. Her body protested but only one thought was loud in her mind, "Get to the shore".

Her legs kept moving but they weren't getting any closer to the shore. Everything was getting fuzzy, she kept kicking, refusing to give up. Suddenly another splash sounded, someone had found them. Help was on the way, but it would be too much effort for anyone to keep both of them afloat. She felt her consciousness slipping.

A strong hand pulled both of them to shore. It was Antony.

With whatever was left of her she tried to utter some words, "T.. t.. Take him, l.. eave me," she said between violent shivers.

Despite her protest, Antony hoisted both Amelia and Nicholas on his shoulders and ran towards the castle. And she remembered no more.