Chapter 14: Hurt

Amelia couldn't decide who she was more annoyed by, Marcus, or her father Nicholas Advent. She hated being surrounded by love on all sides. They were all in Marcus' family balcony watching the musical. Though Antony was alone, Amelia still detested him for pitying her.

She watched as her father whispered something to Emma, making her blush. Amelia decided that she has had enough, but before she could act on the impulse, Antony Bennet got up and went out. Damn! Now, she can't leave immediately. Cursing Antony she sat for another half an hour before getting up to leave.

She instructed Rame to fetch her carriage. She thought she heard a painful grunt, but she couldn't find anyone near. There were few men running around trying to be surreptitious.

"Lady, your carriage awaits," said Rame holding his hand out to help her in.

Amelia nodded and climbed in. Suddenly someone climbed in behind her in a hurry.

She screamed in dread, but hardly any sound escaped as a powerful hand firmly covered her mouth.

"Shh! It's me," said Antony.

When he removed his hand, she was scared to see the bloodstains on his hand.

"Mr. Bennet! You are hurt," she said in shock.

"Lady, is everything alright?" asked Rame, poking his head from the window.

"Yes," said Amelia, but his eyes widened as he saw Antony covered in blood and heavily hurt.

"We will leave now, My Lady," he said and hurried to the front.

Antony's whole front was covered in blood, he had bruises all over his face.

"What happened?" she asked, not knowing what to do.

"I got into a fight," he said and removed his jacket, pressing it tight against his stomach from where blood was gushing out.

"A fight! Why did you fight when you can't even defend yourself!" she exclaimed angrily.

"It was twelve against one," he said defendingly.

She glared like he proved her point.

"What should I do?" she asked, waving her hands awkwardly over him. She had no idea how to treat injuries like that, the most she has treated were papercuts.

"Lady, we got company," warned Rame.

Antony tried to get up.

"What are you doing?" she hissed in a low voice.

"I can't get you involved, I will run. They will chase me. Don't stop. Ride home straight or to Lord Paulen's castle."

"If you didn't want me involved, you should never have entered my carriage. Now shut up, let me think," she commanded.

Antony knew he had no chance of outrunning his enemies, he shouldn't have underestimated Mr. Sterling.

The carriage slowly came to a stop. They heard Rame's angry voice.

"Who are you? And why are you stopping us?"

"Sir, a thief just escaped with my master's belongings. We need to search the carriage," said the man dressed as a guard while opening the door without waiting for Rame's response.

"How dare you. Can't you see the family crest? This carriage belongs to the Duke of Watford." shouted Amelia, on seeing the guard.

"We are just doing our duty."

"If you step in, you will be sorry indeed. I will make sure you and your family rot in jail," The guard froze with his foot hovering in the air, he looked scared.

"I am sorry, My Lady. If he is hiding in your carriage it is our duty to protect you."

"Where do you think he might be hiding? Under my skirts?" Amelia shrieked.

The guard's eye swept the insides of the carriage, it was empty except for Amelia.

"Who do you work for? Ah! The Sterlings family crest stamped on your jacket. Make no mistake, I will make sure he suffers too. How dare a mere lowlife like you stop my carriage," she proceeded to shout.

"I am sorry, My Lady. We didn't see the family crest properly. We made a mistake," his voice became shakier.

"Mistake! I expect Mr. Sterling to apologise to my father and me in person. Tell him he just gained a powerful enemy," she terrorised him.

The guards parted and made way for the carriage to pass.

"Lady, we are still followed," said Rame from the front.

"Just drive home directly. I will get down at the entrance, you make sure Mr. Bennet is brought in through the back."

"You can come out now," said Amelia looking at her feet.

Antony climbed out from under her dress. Her dress's hoops were so large that they easily hid a muscular man like Antony.

She felt him brush against her thigh. With curses under her breath, She pushed him away roughly, only to see him collapse on the floor. He was unconscious and was barely breathing.

"Antony!" she exclaimed and rushed to his side.

"Please don't be dead, please don't be dead," she cried.