Chapter 37: Intentions

"I am only granted an audience with you because Lord Wincent Paulen personally requested."

When Antony followed Amelia to the Advent's castle, he was denied entry. But he didn't want to fuel the fire by fighting his way in. Lord Paulen chipped in requesting a visit with Antony to Lord Nicholas.

"I want to take Amelia home."

"I have no intention of sending her back to you," roared Lord Nicholas.

"She is my wife-"

"You lost your rights to be her husband, leave now."

"Please, don't make this hard."

"Guard! If you see this man in the vicinity of my home, shoot him."

It took four of Lord Nicholas' finest men to throw Antony out.

"Dad, I want to go," said Amelia

"You want to go with him? Even though he loves someone else?"

"Yes."

Lord Nicholas looked shocked, "I can't let my daughter suffer the pain of seeing her spouse be in love with someone else."

Amelia understood the pain her mother inflicted on Lord Nicholas. Though, Nicholas treated her mother well; he had never loved her, but that was not the same for Amelia. She had fallen in love with Antony.

"Dad, Antony is not like that woman-"

"I am not sending you back."

Amelia had her dinner in bed; she couldn't bear to see the sympathetic looks her sisters gave her. She wondered what Antony was doing, whether he had his dinner yet when a stone was pelted at her window.

"Antony!" she gasped as she saw Antony perched on a tree near her window.

"What are you doing?"

"Open your windows and stand back"

"Wait! You will break your neck if you fall!"

"I won't." When she didn't look convinced he added, "Trust me."

She stepped back and watched Antony somersault in mid-air and land neatly on her room's floor.

"What are you doing here?" Amelia asked frostily. Now that he was here, she was angry with him.

"I... I wanted to see you."

"Why?"

He held out a bunch of carnations, "The carnation you planted bloomed, thought you would like to see them."

Amelia took the flowers without meeting Antony's eyes, he hesitated a bit before adding, "Carnation is just an excuse, I... I missed you."

She looked up to see Antony blushing red and looking adorable. She flung herself onto him and kissed him, and he responded in kind. All the words were forgotten in the night's passion.

"Don't hold back," Amelia moaned as Antony treated her gently and touched her softly like she was made of glass.

"If I don't today, I might break you."

Both lay hugging after several rounds of passionate lovemaking, Amelia drew random patterns on his hairy chest.

"Am I forgiven?" he asked hesitantly.

"You never apologised."

"I am sorry-"

"Is it true that you once saved the coachman before Lord Wincent during a carriage accident?"

"Yes, the coachman was stuck near the horse, he was in dire need of help than Lord Wincent."

"Is that why you went to her first? Because she was in more danger than me?"

"Amelia, I..."

Amelia looked at him beseechingly as she asked, "Do you still love her?"

"Amelia..."

"Answer me, Antony, just say yes or no."

He didn't answer, that was answer enough for her. She turned away from him, "You should leave now."

"Amelia-"

"Leave Antony, we can talk later."

Antony knew, that if he left now that would be the last he ever saw her. She was like that, she didn't dally. If she decided on something, she would stick to it no matter what. He hugged her from behind, she tried to wriggle out of his grasp.

"Amelia, please. Don't pull away. Don't leave me. Please hear me out."

"What more is there, Antony?"

Amelia felt his hot tears rolling down her back.

"I won't tell you lies and say I don't love her anymore."

"I don't want to be some rebound for you."

"Amelia, please listen to me, this may sound like an excuse but her memories were the only thing that kept me sane when I went through hell, those feeling are hard to forget."

"What does that make me, Antony? I thought I would be fine, but after hearing this from you I am not."

"I am not finished yet. I regret many things in life but marrying you is never one of them."

"Is this your confession?"

"I won't lie to you and promise you undying love. I need you."

"You need me? It's a shitty thing to say. What's that supposed to even mean?"

"Amelia, when I see Matilda all I feel is pain and regret. I can only remember the hell I lived in, as a slave. But when I am with you, I feel happy. Every beautiful thing reminds me of you. You are my light."

"I am not a balm to your ache, Antony, I don't want to be treated as such either."

"Amelia, I swear on my honour I would never treat you like that."

"What am I to you then?"

"You are my wife."