Chapter 36: Betrayed

The Longs were scheduled to depart that evening. Amelia couldn't believe two days had gone peacefully and she didn't lose her temper even once.

That afternoon she found herself sipping tea on the floating deck with the ladies. She was grateful for Emma as she tried her best to keep things rolling.

"Amicoos!" Junior shouted, he was sitting perched on his father's shoulder, while Antony was carrying Patrick.

"What is an Amicoos?" asked Patrick.

"It's Amelia's pet name," said Junior beaming. "Amiccos, I want to sail the coracle"

On seeing the small coracle, Patrick was excited and wanted to ride it too. Antony prepared the coracle.

"Is it safe for kids to ride?" asked Tily as she came closer to inspect it.

"Mama move, I can't see," Partick said and pushed his mother. Tily lost her footing and fell. Amelia who was the closest to her and tried to grab her but the force of Tily's fall made Amelia fall into the pond as well.

"Matilda!"

"Amelia!"

Amelia knew who shouted her name and it was not Antony. Lord Nicholas rushed and helped her up the floating deck while Antony helped Matilda, he didn't even spare her a glance.

"God! Are you stupid, you are pregnant for heaven's sake. How can you be so careless and come near the water's edge?" Antony barked angrily. He ordered the maids to help Matilda back and inform Hugo of the events.

Only then he turned to Amelia, "Amelia, why are you still-" but his words were cut short as Lord Nicholas angrily punched him.

"Remembered her now, did you?"

"Lord Nichol-" He was once again cut short by the second angry punch. Antony knew Lord Nicholas' anger was legendary, but he never thought there would be a day when he would be at the receiving end. God! It hurt like hell, which meant something since he had gone through hell.

Amelia was giving him a you-got-less-than-what-you-deserve look.

Without a glance at Antony, Lord Nicholas picked Amelia in his arms and ordered his family to leave.

"Dad, where are we going?" Amelia asked as Nicholas headed to the carriage.

"We are going home. I am not leaving you with a man who doesn't care about you."

"You didn't mind during the wedding or even when he made me stay in a bachelor lodging?"

"Amelia, I thought he was going in the right way handling you. I was wrong, that blighter clearly doesn't give a damn about you. He didn't even look whether you were safe."

"Dad, I spend most afternoons swimming in the pond. He has seen me dive several times."

"You are supporting the bastard?"

"No, I am disappointed too. But I already know he doesn't love me. I have learned to accept it."

"I cannot, I can't see my daughter suffer."

"Emma, do something."

"I am sorry, Lady Amelia. Your father is right."