XXI

It's been a few weeks since we moved into the cabin. So far it's been calm. From what I've heard anyway.

Tomorrow is my birthday and I'm super excited. Josie has been living in a different safe house in case she was an inside source. She hasn't done much though so I get to see her! Not at the house though, a public place. Zane has been surprisingly worried about her. It is quite funny to see.

The last few weeks had given me plenty of time to think about our situation. It's basically my fault it's happening. They want me. I don't know why, but they do. I thought about texting my mother back and surrendering myself. It would make this process easier. But that would also mean she won.

I shake from my thoughts and continue reading my book. Or rather, I flip back to the last page because I blanked out and forgot everything I just read.

I was reading a book called Dracula. It was different than the Emma book I read, but interesting. It was about Vampires. Something I knew very little about.

"How's the book?" Zane asked as he came into the room.

"Good." I smiled. My stutter had gotten way better. It only shows when I have strong emotions now.

"Tomorrow you're eighteen!" Zane slung an arm around the couch behind me. "By the way? How is school going?" I had started a week and a half ago. I had all my credits from the first semester. Well technically it was half of one but I just took a few extra exams and finished them off.

"It's pretty easy." I said. It was. I was only taking pre-calculus, an English class, US history, and chemistry. I was pretty good in math so I didn't mind. I already had all my other credits.

"That makes one of us. I think I failed high school." Zane chuckled.

"How'd you graduate?" I asked.

"I did somehow." Zane shrugged. I shook my head. My brothers obviously didn't care for education.

"Are you excited for your birthday! And more cake!" Darius shouted. He just stepped into the room with dad.

"Cake!" I jumped up. Cake was my favorite food now. If I knew it tasted so good, I would have taken the risk to eat it.

"Yes!" Darius pulled me off the couch.

"Ok, I know we are all excited. But before we do anything we have to clear the area. And since we have yet to have a welcoming ball for the princess, we will wait until this passes over." Dad said. The mention of the ball immediately brought anxiety over me.

"B- ball?" I asked curiously. I remember Lucian mentioning it.

"You are the Mafia princess. We would have had a ball for you when you turned sixteen, but unfortunately we didn't know you existed." Dad looked away as if ashamed.

"It isn't your fault." I hugged him. Dad reciprocated the hug.

"I should have kept an eye on Jolie." Was all he said.

I let go of the hug and sat back down. Dad sat in the chair across from me.

"Where is Lucian?" Zane asked. It was weird that I haven't seen him yet. He has been attached to my hip for the last few weeks.

"Hiding somewhere." Dad said. Why would he be hiding?

"Oh." I nodded. I knew he was probably in my room. Since there was only four bedrooms Lucian had been sleeping in my room, much to dads dismay. "I'm going to go change into comfortable clothes." I said before getting up. I guess I should go check.

"Ok." Dad said.

I made my way up the stairs to my room. Only two bedrooms were upstairs, mine and Zane's. Mine also had a window that took up a whole wall. It was pretty to look outside. Especially since it was winter time.

As soon as I opened my door I saw the large mass on my bed. Lucian was sleeping.

I giggled as I closed my door and walked closer to the bed. Lucian had no shirt on so you could see every tattoo he had. He was laying on his stomach hugging a pillow. He looked so comfortable.

I decided to let him be. He was relaxed when he was asleep. Instead I went to where he set his shirt and cut. I learned that's what they called their MC jackets.

I made sure Lucian wasn't awake and slipped the vest over my shoulders. It was clearly to big for me but I thought it was funny. I looked at myself in the mirror and tried my hardest not to bend over laughing.

The vest reached my knees and the sleeves that fit perfectly over Lucian's shoulders, sagged down my arms.

"Having fun, darling?" I almost jumped ten feet off the ground when Lucian spoke. He was sat up in the bed watching me. I just stared at him like a deer in headlights.

"Oh, uh." I quickly tried to defend myself. "I- I was just t- trying it on." I took of the vest and placed back where it was laying.

Lucian chuckled and got up. He was in his boxers which made me wonder where his pants were. "It was adorable." He said. "Maybe we should get you one." Lucian smiled.

"Why?" I asked. I thought only mates had them.

"You are the princess." Lucian leaned down towards me. He face was close to mine now. All I had to do was lean up and out lips would meet.

"But don't only mates get a vest?" I know Venessa, one of the mates, had a jacket. She didn't like the vest.

"I could get you a jacket if you wanted, darling." Lucian said.

"No, I don't want one if I don't need it." I shook my head. Lucian sighed but connected our lips. It was a quick kiss that lasted only a second.

"I'm going to get changed." Lucian said as he grabbed his shirt. He disappeared into the closet and came back out in black sweats and a white t- shirt. "Are you excited for tomorrow?" Lucian asked. He watched me intently as I answered.

"Yes! I get to see Josie." I smiled. I was excited. I've been alone with men this whole time. One of them being a little too obsessive.

"I have my own birthday surprise for you." Lucian said.

"Really?" My eyes lit up. I wasn't expecting Lucian to have something. Lucian hummed.

"For now I have some club stuff to do." Lucian reached his hand out for mine. I took it and followed him to the office next to my room. It wasn't too big and had some basic decorations. The opposite of every other office Lucian worked in.

"What do you have to do?" I asked.

"Check the books, check runs, check the money coming in from Logan's mafia." He explained. I nodded and stood next to the desk while he sat down. Lucian didn't like that so he pulled me to sit on his lap. "You can sit here." He grumbled. I laughed at his possessiveness.

Lucian worked for about an hour while I sat on his lap.