XXIII

Question of the day:
Do you like fantasy books?
———
Emily

I checked the clock and saw it was seven. We had stayed out with the girls for a few hours before we came back. Zane made me a cake and we enjoyed it while dad gave me my gift. I hadn't expected it at all and cried when he handed me the box.

He got me a ring with his mafia's symbol on it and my initials on the inside. Diamonds were on each side of the emblem making it shine. It fit perfectly on my index finger. I wasn't sure how he figured that out but I didn't question it.

After dinner Lucian told me to follow him outside. He took me a little ways away from the cabin to a little area that was dug out for a fire pit. I could tell it has gotten a lot of use.

That's where we were right now. Lucian was sitting on a chair and I on his lap.

Eventually he broke the silence. "I have a serious question for you, darling." Lucian said. He turned me on his lap and kept eye contact with me. "I wanted to ask you to be my mate, my woman." Lucian said. He wasted no time, not that that was a bad thing.

My brain melted. I didn't know he would make a commitment like that so quickly. It's only been a month! I wasn't even sure Lucian wanted a mate.

"A- are you sure?" I asked. Lucian was making a big commitment by asking me that, it was surprising.

"Very sure, darling. I'm ready to claim you as mine." Lucian pulled me into him and pressed my body into his.

I thought about what Lucian had just asked me. I also thought about the different ways this could go wrong. What if Lucian or someone in the club suddenly turned violent. Being a mate would mean I can't leave unless the Alpha approved, which would be Lucian. It also meant I was one hundred percent the club's responsibility. They would be roped in whatever my mother tried to pull. I hated that idea.

I turned back to Lucian. He was awaiting my answer. "I- I want to be your mate." I finally said. Lucian smiled and leaned forward to kiss me. I could tell he was happy, I was too. I think I loved Lucian. I didn't want to admit it because we only just met. It feels too soon, but I can't help how I feel.

"I- I love y- you." I said. Lucian was already down to my neck giving it as much attention as my swollen lips. His attack stopped when he heard my words. His hands tightened on my legs.

"Say it again." Lucian demanded. Did he not hear me? Maybe I was too quiet.

"I- I love you." I said a little louder. Lucian sucked in a breath of air.

"Fuck, I love you too, darling." He pressed himself back into my neck. "I have another surprise for you." Lucian said as he pulled away again. He reached next to the chair and picked up a bag. I didn't even know he had that.

He pulled something leather out of it. It looked like his cut. I was confused until he unfolded it. My mouth agape. It was a normal cut except for the extra patch on the front. It was in the bottom right corner of the front. It was a beautifully embroidered crown with my name under it. The crown seemed to resemble my status as the princess, I found that amusing.

"W- what, w- why?" I asked. He didn't even know I would say yes.

"I told you Emily, you were mine and nobody else could claim you." Lucian said. He placed his hands on my cheeks. "I don't usually put too much thought into how I look or who I'm with, but I want everyone to see you and me every time either of us step into the room. Men will be too frightened to talk to you and women I." Lucian finished. I sucked in a lip, trying not the cry.

"O- ok." I nodded. Lucian smiled and pressed his forehead against mine.

"You will also need a cut," He broke my trance, "And a tattoo." Lucian said. I stared at him dumbfounded.

"Tattoo!" I slapped his chest. "No way! I doubt even Darius would let me get one!" I argued.

"You have to, Darling. You are a mate now." Lucian said.

"Will Cerberus do it?" I asked. I met Cerberus once or twice before, he seemed nice.

"Yes." Lucian answered. I sighed briefly. At least it wasn't a stranger.

"Can we go inside now, I'm cold." I said. Even though snow has yet to fall, it was still the middle of November. Halloween had long past and turkey season was upon us. I think it was next week.

"Of course." Lucian stood up and set me down before grabbing his bag. I led the way back with careful steps. I was very clumsy.

When we finally made it into the cabin both of my brothers were waiting. They were glaring at Lucian. "Can I help you?" Lucian asked them. They grimaced.

"Did you ask what we think you did?" Darius asked Lucian. They had a staring match before Lucian answered.

"Yes." He said nonchalantly.

"You said yes?" Zane asked me. I nodded. "Fine." They gave Lucian one more glare before leaving.

"Let's go to bed." Lucian started taking me towards the stairs. I wanted another piece of cake though.

"Wait!" Lucian turned around like I was hurt. "I want cake." I said. Lucian sighed.

"It's too late, darling." He said.

"It's my birthday." I pouted. Lucian looked away for a second before answering.

"Fine. Only a little bit." He pushed me towards the kitchen. I smiled and practically skipped to the fridge. Zane was a very good bakery chef. He could cook anything I found out.

Lucian cut me a piece of delicious chocolate cake and put it on a plate for me. I quickly took it to the table and shoveled it into my mouth. You would've thought I was starved. Well I was, but that doesn't really matter anymore.

"Slow down, you'll get sick." Lucian pulled my plate away. I glared at him and pulled it back.

"It's my birthday!" I huffed. Lucian sighed and hung his head.

After I finished my cake, Lucian cleaned up and led me upstairs. His old cut was still sitting on the chair. Lucian placed his new one over it and turned to the closet. He grabbed himself a pair of sweats and me one of his shirts. They were very comfortable I learned. Lucian didn't mind sharing so he just gave me one now.

After our nighttime routine we both got into my comfy bed. Lucian refused to let me get even a centimeter away from him. His possessiveness would sure grow stronger. Ive learned that these men didn't mess around when it came to their women.

"Happy birthday, darling." Lucian kissed my temple. I smiled and drifted into a quiet sleep.