Addington Class of 1998

Scene 1: The Helmsley Hotel

Heather Blakely

"Is that all you're having?" Audrey asked, concerned by my lone cup of coffee.

"I don't have much of an appetite."

"Last first day of high school." She smiled.

"Don't remind me." I let out a nervous breath.

"It's going to be such a good year," Audrey said while looking over at Natalia who hugged her close in response.

"I hope so."

"Everything's going to happen so fast. Think of all the things we have to do."

"College fairs," I replied blandly.

"The D.C. trip," she smirked.

"That is meant to be for educational purposes. We're being graded."

All seniors have to take government, and because of that, we do a week-long field trip to Washington D.C.

Of course, anyone only cares about the after-hours part of this field trip. They lock the entire senior class in a hotel and then do one bed check before ignoring whatever happens later.

"There's prom," Natalia puts forward.

"Great..."

"And graduation," Audrey continued.

"I can't drink this either," I sighed and walked my cup of coffee to the sink.

"Italy?" Audrey looks down at my shoes.

I nodded. "Italy."

"What else did you get there?" She smirked as if she knew something.

"This purse, but you're not talking about clothes, are you?"

"Why'd you extend your trip?"

"I didn't want to come back yet."

"Camille said you were having the grandest time with Adrian," Audrey teased.

"Oh, please." I rolled my eyes. "She wanted that to happen so badly."

"Was he cute?"

"Sure, but I didn't stay for him. Italy was a detox. Adrian just showed me around."

My mother made sure the entire family was privy to the whole breakup situation, so I was greeted with copious amounts of pity, advice, and wine. I felt like a middle-aged divorcee. Adrian got me out of that. He and his pretty, Italian, summer fling.

"What a waste."

"I'm not interested in dating anymore. I've done enough for a while."

"You see what happens when you date below your pay grade?" Audrey said to Natalia.

"Oh, my God." I groaned. "Are we going now?"

Scene 2: Madison Street

Leo Rylin

"Good morning, jellybean."

"Mm," I complained.

"I told you to go to bed earlier."

"I couldn't sleep."

"Excited?"

"Are you kidding?" I said while grabbing a bottle of apple juice out of the fridge.

She laughed. "Is Danny picking you up?"

"I called him and he didn't answer. I'm just gonna go get Elle and then catch the subway."