In the Truth and Turmoil

Scene 1: Addington High Library

Leo Rylin

"Don't you have a test?" I ask as she takes a seat at a table.

"I was going to fail anyway."

"He's not going to let you retake it. I had him last year, he's strict."

Elle sighed. "I didn't want to take it."

"If you get below a C for the semester, your mom is gonna throw away all your shit."

They have some intense screaming matches that I get to pretend I didn't witness over the phone or in her room after she slams the door shut.

"She won't. We'll fight and she'll give up."

"Yeah, and you'll be sneaking out getting me in trouble with her because you're at my place."

"Whatever," she smirks. "You love it."

"Like I have a choice."

Elle inched closer to me, and I glimpse past her for just a second before I felt her lips.

I noticed Heather when we walked in but ignored it. Besides, she seemed okay then, but now...she is laying with her head on the table. I can't tell if she's tired or upset-

Elle pulls away enough to speak. "We're going to Claudia's on Friday night and staying over, okay?"

"Huh?"

She kisses me again, softening the blow of annoying news. "Empty house and she wants to take advantage of it. It'll be fun."

"Who else is gonna be there?"

"Just some people." I make a face in response and she rolls her eyes. "You won't be the only guy. She wouldn't let me bring you if you were."

"That's not what I'm worried about."

"Then what?"

"I don't like not knowing everyone."

She put her hand on my leg. "You know me."

I chuckled and let her keep it there. "I guess."

My brain is malfunctioning or something. Whenever I tell myself not to look at her, I immediately look right at her.

What has her like this?

Why isn't anyone checking on-

Alison and I locked eyes when she blocked my view...and she knew it wasn't her I was looking at. She turned and saw Heather and then glanced back at me.

And I made sure my eyes were back to where they're supposed to be.

"What time do we have to be there?" I asked Elle.

"By 8 if you want any food to be left."

"Free meal? This is sounding better and better."

"I can't wait," she cooed. "A whole night."

"In sleeping bags."

"One sleeping bag."

I don't do the sleepover thing anymore. I think that makes the relationship move too quickly. I've learned my lesson about getting that attached that fast.

Alison is talking to her closely like she's afraid of being loud enough to hear. Heather is resting with her head in her hand and a sad expression on her face.

It's none of my business.

"Skipping in the library is kinda boring." I nodded toward the door. "Let's go get something to eat and come back later."