Skeletons in the Closet

Scene 1: Chrystie Street

Leo Rylin

"You want another beer?" Jordan asked, opening one for himself.

"Nah I'm not trying to drink much."

"Isn't this your pregame?"

"I don't know," I shrugged and sighed. "I'm here so Elle has a good time."

She's giggling and chatting with a vampire, zombie cheerleader, and Jeff Spicoli.

Most of my friends are off doing something else, partying at houses that you can trash. I'm lucky Jordan's even here. Elle invited Angela, I think, so he didn't have a choice.

Elle and Angela get along. It's funny because Angela doesn't like anyone, but I know Elle likes her because of that. She doesn't have to worry about her getting too close to people Elle wouldn't want her close with.

"If you're still around after the parties and shit, a few of us are just gonna chill at my place."

"Sounds good...I might have a thing to go to, though. I don't know how late I'll be."

"A thing?"

I didn't tell anyone. And I think the fact that I'm keeping so much to myself means I'm doing something I probably shouldn't.

"Heather...invited me to a party."

He nodded and took a swig of his beer. "Elle know?"

"Nah..." I said, uneasily. "I shouldn't go, huh?"

"What do you think?"

"She'd be mad if I did go but...it's a party, it's not like me and Heather are gonna be alone. And I just wanna be cool with her, you know? I can't be if I'm like...avoiding her and stuff."

Jordan chuckled and shook his head. "Elle's gonna kick your ass."

Yeah, I thought about that...

"You don't deal with this?"

"Try not to. I don't talk to any ex-girlfriends but the girl who works the counter at the coffee place down the street is kinda hot for me, and Angela would rather walk another 10 minutes than go in there."

I smirked. "Heather's friend liked you." Jordan's eyebrows scrunched in confusion: "Lisa."

He smiled, arrogantly. "I got a class with her."

"I'm telling Angela."

And he knows I'm joking but doesn't laugh as much as he would if he wasn't thinking about something.

"I don't think you should go."

"Why not?"

"You know why, and I know you know."

Elle's arm draped across my chest and she looked over to smile at me.

"We can leave now if you're ready."

"Okay."

"Let me just say goodbye," she said, running off as soon as I nodded.

I went over to the coat rack and grabbed hers while she was talking to her friends. I never took my jacket off because it hides the ascot I had to wear in order to look like this guy. I let her get her pictures and then I covered up as much as possible.

"We can take the 7 to Quinn's," she said, handing me her bag so she can bundle up.

"I don't know, I'm kinda tired..."

Her mouth fell open. "We haven't even made it anywhere."

"We have stuff to do tomorrow, right? And we won't be up before the fucking sun. Don't act like we didn't have school today."