We Can't Go On Together

Scene 1: Addington High

Leo Rylin

"What makes you think centrals would show up to battle of the bands in Brooklyn?" I ask Ned as I sort through the flyers he gave me.

"I don't know. Field trip? Experimenting. Pissing off their parents. I don't care, I just want to pack the place."

"Alright," I shrugged, "let's do it. I'll take this side." He nodded and headed to another wall of lockers to slip flyers into.

I hope his band does win.

It's like Addington versus Chester with the exception of Matt being on our side. And even though I don't have any pride in this place, there's this feeling of loyalty when it comes to those outside of it.

"I been eating a lot of junk food like sweets and shit. Apparently, my brain craves dopamine. I wanted a milkshake all day," I hear Danny talking somewhere else.

I didn't think he was still here. Our lockers are in the same place—pretty much every burnout's locker is in the same place, and I don't really see him when school ends if I don't ask for a ride in advance.

"Ooh, that sounds good. We should get them."

Heather?

I quickly moved to a corner where they wouldn't be able to see me but I can wait to confirm that I must be mixing her voice up, as crazy as that sounds...

Danny walks down the hall and to the main doors...with Heather on his side. They might as well be holding hands.

She fucking...

She hates Danny.

Danny hates her.

Why are they...

"Bro," Ned comes back over to me, "someone spelled Wednesday wrong on here-"

"Sh," I hushed him and pointed to why I'm being quiet.

They walked out the doors without detecting me...obviously too focused on each other...and getting into the van with each other...and doing whatever they're doing...with each other.

"They're probably not doing anything bad. Danny wouldn't—she wouldn't..." Ned sighed exasperatedly, "I doubt they're fucking."

"Why would you say that?"

"It'd be like next level betrayal."

"Yeah, no shit, so what made you think about them doing that?"

"I mean, it's what goes through your head when you see people sneaking around."

It is.

But get that out of my head...

"They didn't look...like they were into each other, right?"

"I—uh, I don't know her but I'm guessing she's always smiling at people like that..."

"Yeah, kinda."

"The only thing suspicious is Danny, then...because since when does he go anywhere with her...alone?" Ned asked, and I just shrugged. "Go see what's up:"

"No. I don't care."

"Pfft. Okay."

Scene 2: Oliver's Apartment

Zach Teeling

"Can I just say it's hilarious that you're the mean girl and not me?"

"No," I complained.

"You're going to have to enroll in acting classes with me if you don't want Evan to hate you."

"I thought it was going to be you who ended up kissing him. I was prepared to just...kill you. I didn't know what to do about Karlie."